The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`m ready to spool up with powerpro braid(moss green) and want to know if anybody uses it straight through without a fluro leader? last year i was using fireline crystal straight through ,but i`m wonderin will the bass see the green??

thanks,billy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i`m ready to spool up with powerpro braid(moss green) and want to know if anybody uses it straight through without a fluro leader? last year i was using fireline crystal straight through ,but i`m wonderin will the bass see the green??

thanks,billy
Last year (my first plugging), I used green powerpro tied direct to a gemini swivel link (for ease of plug changing) and managed to catch fish. This year though, I will be using a fluoro leader (about 2-3ft) to see if there's some improvement. I'll also tie the fluoro direct to the plug this year.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've had bass to a shade under 5lb without using a leader (on green PowerPro) but I've got more confidence fishing with one as it reduces the chances of the lure's front treble getting caught in and damaging the braid

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Its also for abrasion resistance - lost a plug and a fish at last years Jersey fest as I got sheared off on a rock ledge - flouro may have saved it ... I will never know :/ (hate leaving hooks in fish but it was such a violent take pretty sure it may have been a reasonable wrasse)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I use it for abrasion and the sight thing as well. I had a session last year off the boat using same tackle, lures etc, same style, I had 6 fish, he had one undersize. The only difference? I had a 2ft fluoro leader, he was on braid straight through. Gave him some of my Seaguar, he started catching. Thats all I needed to see and will always use it where possible from now on. Not massively scientific or anything, but good enough for me.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Billy

Some I know always use fluro, some I fish with never do. Myself, I use it probably for 70% of my fishing: I feel in bright clear conditions it potentially lends an advantage, and it also alows quicker lure changes as I am stuck in my ways of biting lures off tiening knots and biting off lose ends and I cant so readily do this with fluro (yes I know clippers would be easier and save a forture eventuaally in dental bills). I dont use the green power pro but grey fireline is not that disimilar in tone. My biggest bass came on fireline (F.L.) fished straight through (as have several other doubles), and the advantages of eliminating a weak link are something in favour of no leader. I cant remember losing a fish with F.L. getting cut by roc in the UK/Ireland...though I did get kelped by a whopper last year in Ireland. In weed however braid is more likely to come out due to its finer dimensions and cheese wire effect it has on the kelp IMO.

So it looks like I am sitting on the fence here!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would endorse Mark's comments as I have had similar experiences in Jersey from the boat. I use Seaguar flurocarbon for a leader as it is much more abrasion resistant than braid ( in my case 15lb green powerpro) and less visible. I guess to some extent the matter of leader visibility depends on where the fish is lying and the time they have to examine the lure and its connections before deciding to get hold of it or not. In a fast race or in white water around rock heads then may be it is less critical.
I have often thought that the presence of a connection between the braid and the fluro is a positive thing because it can stop minor bits of weed from sliding down the line during the retreive and spoiling the lure's action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts