The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple times of some of you using light fluro for LRF, and was just wondering if you had to pre-stretch it or find limp fluro to stop its memory? I loaded one of my plugging reels with 8lb fluro this year and the memory kept in the line, came off in very tight coils and I couldnt use it. Does this happen with the LRF weight lines?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Depends a lot on manufacturer and type really ****. If you have an account with Clee then check out the Linesystems stuff. Not seen it msyelf but it's rated highly around the World as one of the better, more supple reel lines. Can't get it myself at the moment but it's definitely worth a look from what I've read.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Although I am not (yet!) into the LRF I have been using flouro for years for fly fishing and other types of fishing and havent found the problem. Different flouros seems to give different characteristics, some being more supple than others but I tend to use Riverge Grand Max in the sub 10lb range for just about all my fishing and go right down to 2lb for chalk stream fishing and this stuff is flippin' excellent. I am sure I will end up with LRF gear for Xmas (my wife will call ****!) I will be using the Riverge Grand Max as my leader.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Why do we need to use Fluerocarbon 'main' lines ?
Why not just use a hook length and a high quality 'clear' main line,there are some very good ones out there these days that are designed to work with very small reels from the coarse fishing world.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Why do we need to use Fluerocarbon 'main' lines ?
Why not just use a hook length and a high quality 'clear' main line,there are some very good ones out there these days that are designed to work with very small reels from the coarse fishing world.
Whatever type of fishing you do, there are days when the fish will take anything regardles of the lure or presentation but I think that anything that gives you and edge on the usual days has to be an advantage. I have had days fly fishing when a colleague with a thin nylon leader struggles but by using a flouro tippet, I catch - same fly, same technique.

There are plenty of anglers that can outfish me using string! But anything that helps tip the balance in my favour has to be a good thing for me. I confess to being 'sold' on flouro as a tippet material.

Reactions: Nick Phillips

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
In the summer when I am fishing more (can we have a "weekenders only" comp LOL), I often tie on a new FC leader and rig up my rod (most LRF/HRF will fit inside a car) as soon as I have rinsed and dried my reel from the last trip. That puts the leader under tension. By the time I go fishing the memory has gone (does that mean it is forgotten?). Especially important for vertical work IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts