The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how about a list of great ff books worth reading

lou tabory's, inshore flyfishing

ken abrames,striper moon

lefty kreh, flyfishing in saltwater

mitchell, fly rodding estuaries

bob popovics, pop fleyes

infact alex, you may want to move this into the where to get stuff from.

kev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Ray Bonderew - Stripers and Streamers

Top class read for any Bass angler fly or not

Marty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Marty H said:
Ray Bonderew - Stripers and Streamers

Top class read for any Bass angler fly or not

Marty
Firstly Marty, Welcome to the forum :!: Does the book cover lures and bait :?: have just got it up on amazon for £12.46 :jump:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

Stripers and Streamers is a SW fly fishing book but has a wealth of info in regards to the enviroments we fish for bass along side the fly specific stuff. I cant reccomend it enough, I dont think you would be dissapointed.

Marty
 

·
Throbbing Member
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
Steve

It's a fly fishing book. the author was the guy who devised the "Rays fly".

A book that I would recommend for you on lure fishing is "The Art of Surf casting with Lures" by Zeno Hromin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Nigel Fairclough said:
Steve

It's a fly fishing book. the author was the guy who devised the "Rays fly".

A book that I would recommend for you on lure fishing is "The Art of Surf casting with Lures" by Zeno Hromin
Nigel,

Is that the exact title :?: I have just searched for it on Amazon with no returns :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nigel Fairclough said:
Steve

It's a fly fishing book. the author was the guy who devised the "Rays fly".

A book that I would recommend for you on lure fishing is "The Art of Surf casting with Lures" by Zeno Hromin
both great books

kev
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Marty H said:
Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome.

Stripers and Streamers is a SW fly fishing book but has a wealth of info in regards to the enviroments we fish for bass along side the fly specific stuff. I cant reccomend it enough, I dont think you would be dissapointed.

Marty
Marty,

I fished many years ago on local rivers on the fly and bought a fly set up for salt water last xmas but have not used it yet, with some experts now on this forum and it's own section I think I will take the plunge and use it this year ;) I have just ordered the book so will look forward to it arriving to read, Thanks :jump:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Enjoy the read Steve and make sure you take that fly gear out this year. Its alot of fun.

Marty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,632 Posts
For my money anyone thinking about flyfishing for bass would be best served by buying a copy of Lou Tabory's book. It covers the everything from gear, knots, the different areas we catch bass in and how to fish those areas. Most of the flies mentioned in the book are just as successful over here as they are over there. Lou's book takes the art/mystique out of coldwater saltwater flyfishing, and gives everyone the knowledge to be successful. He is a practical fisherman first, who wants to catch fish first and foremost. Worth it's weight in gold as far as i am concerned. By far the best book on the subject to date.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,081 Posts
Nigel Fairclough said:
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Surfcasting-L ... 1604614781[/url][/quote:18ydjrzn]

Thanks Nigel,

It seems available on the .com site but not the .co.uk one, Last time I tried to order from .com they directed me back to .co.uk - Has anyone else had this problem :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Dave Irving said:
For my money anyone thinking about flyfishing for bass would be best served by buying a copy of Lou Tabory's book. It covers the everything from gear, knots, the different areas we catch bass in and how to fish those areas. Most of the flies mentioned in the book are just as successful over here as they are over there. Lou's book takes the art/mystique out of coldwater saltwater flyfishing, and gives everyone the knowledge to be successful. He is a practical fisherman first, who wants to catch fish first and foremost. Worth it's weight in gold as far as i am concerned. By far the best book on the subject to date.
yes a great read,

and a huge fly caught striper on the front cover to boot that make's your eye's pop out there sockets. :shock: :shock: :shock:

kev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Hi

Are you referring to "Inshore fly fishing" by Lou Tabory or "Stripers on the Fly" by Lou Tabory?

I assume its the "inshore" book as that has the photo on the cover?

Also for learning fly tying from scratch is there a particularly easy to follow book or is a DVD easier?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top