The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, following a very enjoyable session today on the Trout, i'd like to get myself some freshwater kit (borrowed some gear today).

If i were to spend around £200, could i get myself set-up with Rod, Reel, Lines, Flies etc . . . . ?? And if so, what should i be looking for ?

Thanks for listening . . . . over & out .

S

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi mate ive been really in to fly fishing down in cornwall if you get a chance try floattubeing great fun you should get a decent set up for two hundred notes best bet is a 9ft6 rod line wieght 8-9 dont go to nuts on reel as you dont really use it in the same way as normall fishing get a plastic real nice and light so it dosent afect rod balance greys rods about 80-100 quid start with floating line snowbee really good and decent flurocarbon ps keep a straight wrist lol and watch ya ears and eyes and wind when your learning it hurts,ask vaughan about hooks stuck in places funny as hope this info helps mate

·
Registered
540 Posts
if its mainly bank fishing small waters and your only getting one rod, go for a 10ft model with an aftm rating 7.
A cassette fly reel with a large arbour.
I would get a floating line (with a WF taper), a slime line (intermediate 1.5ins per sec) and a di-3 as most of theese waters are shallow you dont really need an ultra-fast sink

I dont like to mention specific names for fear of being biased as i get mine from being a guide!!!

can come with you though to a tackle shop to see the various types/actions etc and talk you through them, or if you want some casting tuition. or anything else I can help with just let me know mucca!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn, I could do with some casting help and advice on a "budget" set-up. I fancy some bass on the fly as well as some trout!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local tackle shop has got a pretty good selection i think. So it's a case of knowing what to ask for (i'm sure he'll do me a good deal - he usually does).

I'll also need to stock-up on flies. What would be a decent selection of types to get me up & running until i can get familiar with everything again??

Another question - do you think that Luke, at 8, could be taught to cast a fly rod, or is he a little young to begin ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
My local tackle shop has got a pretty good selection i think. So it's a case of knowing what to ask for (i'm sure he'll do me a good deal - he usually does).

I'll also need to stock-up on flies. What would be a decent selection of types to get me up & running until i can get familiar with everything again??

Another question - do you think that Luke, at 8, could be taught to cast a fly rod, or is he a little young to begin ?
I am sure Luke could be taught but would need advice on a light outfit for him.

(For you not Luke)I like the Greys GRXI rod. Its 9 feet 6 with a 7 weight line rating. Mark is a Greys agent so could get the rod. I can find it for sale in South wales for £99. You tried this rod yesterday

Fly reel

Lots of fly lines out there. You were using a weight forward 7 intermediate yesterday with a 9 feet fluorocarbon leader 6lb b/s

If you can pick up an intermediate and floating line that should cover you for most of the fishing at Garnffrwd. Mark will probably throw in backing

Fly's a bit like collecting lures. yesterday you tried.

(Lures)
Black and green fritz goldhead
cat's whisker white and green
White and blue dog nobbler goldhead
Viva
Black tadpole goldhead

goldhead montana green and black
Damsel nymph

Jamie also suggested Diawl bach.

Pick up some lures and nymphs. The dry fly's can wait until the spring

Don't forget to get your rod licence, may be worth getting a day licence until the new licence year
Priest
landing net
forceps and snips

That will get you started

If I have missed anything I will add it later

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi Tim no problem! if I can help in any way I will!!! got stacks of gear so maybe we can arrange another meet to have a look at it all and have a play!!!
Game on, Iestyn. Might need a field for some casting practice first! I already can think of a couple of spots we will fish at the bass meet in April that would be suitable for the fly.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Gents, following a very enjoyable session today on the Trout, i'd like to get myself some freshwater kit (borrowed some gear today).

If i were to spend around £200, could i get myself set-up with Rod, Reel, Lines, Flies etc . . . . ?? And if so, what should i be looking for ?

S
lol, you'll never guess mate.....but I've got an Enigma EMG 10ft rod for sale....but I think it's a 5 or a 6 as I was more of a lightweight fly guy!! Its in excellent nick and a true saving.

I've managed to put a full 5 weight out with it.......best bit of advice, get some casting lessons mate!

This whole freshwater business might be the way forward........we blanked again today, weather was outstanding though but the water was like coco-cow!

·
Registered
281 Posts

S
Well worth checking out the sportfish web site. They often sell complete kits for less than you are looking to spend - bought one last year for my son to get him started and I think I use it more than him!

www.sportfish.co.uk

p.s. my boy was 6 when he started to learn to cast - still learning but getting better and has cast to and caught his own fish now! If you get a rod for the boy be careful of getting one too short - it is easier to learn on an 8ft rod that a 7ft imho.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice gents. New set-up ordered, and i'll be picking it up by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tackle tart!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for all the advice gents. New set-up ordered, and i'll be picking it up by the end of the week.
What did you end up going for Si?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
281 Posts
It is a good time of year to fish stocked rainbows - they like the cooler water and any over wintered fish are typically very good value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts