The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this on another forum but thought it would be just as useful to post it here as well.

My plans for this winter include learning to tie flies that will help me catch my main targets of bass and mullet next year (which considering I haven't caught on a lure yet is maybe a bit premature :-?). This will be in local waters - coast off West Sussex, Chichester Harbour, River Arun - that type of mark.

After doing lots of research I have just ordered a vice and tools, ready to start. That was the (relatively) easy part. When looking at materials I am finding it to be such a huge market I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone suggest (or point me to) a basic list of materials that would give me enough to tie a few flies, and from there I should be able to start to add to this as I find new patterns to tie.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Best thing to do is get the 'recipes' and instructions for the flies you want. Stacks of you tube videos of people tying them in real time. You probably already know that you need to look for maggot, shrimp and clouser( sandeel really) patterns. Talk to the guys at Veniards(probably the biggest fly tying materials seller in the uk) in Thornton Heath/ Croydon. Not sure if you can buy direct, but a lot of guys there tie their own and will definitely help with advice. Sportfish and Glasgow angling centre both do tying materials. Good luck. Nothing beats catching on your own creation (no luck at sea - freshwater only so far for me).

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi brian you wont go wrong with a clouser minow in various colours prity simple to tie sand eel pattern.
only a few materials needed

hook , bucktail, some dumbell style eyes and some invisible thred (which can be found in your local sowing shop)
there are plenty of videos on the net that will show you how to tie this fly and it is a good fly
(some times thats all you will need keep it simple)
hope that gets you started
tight line chris

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the replies chaps - gives me something to search for now - and explain to my wife how much money I'm saving as the parcels start to arrive! :-D

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Brian - Sportfish Reading have a short fly tying workshop on Sat 11th Dec. Its £20 but that also includes a £20 voucher to spend in store. John who will be running the course is well into his bass and mullet fly fishing/tying.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
That sounds spot on - if I can just persuade the wife not to spend one weekend between now and Christmas at the shops!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:-D I can understand that - my wife thinks it would be good to do as well. Now I only need to persuade her she needs to take up fishing and I'll be fine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts