Fly tying vice - recommendations? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Fly tying vice - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by {name}, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Salmon

Time to relearn some mroe old skills. Any advice on decent fly tying vices with a preference for a base stand rather than clamped foot.

Thanks, Iain

2. Pike 2015 Bass Challenge Winner

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bass

Do you want a rotary? I'm not sure what patterns you're going to aim at, rotary vises are fantastic but pricey. I have a Snowbee fly mate you can have, its basic but I learned to tie on it. Have a Snowbee Waldron now so no use for it, might be useful to try-out until you're sure you want to shell out. David

4. Salmon

I bought a basic clamp one. The clamp doesn't fit onto my fat idiot table. :-(

5. Salmon

Just had a look David and those Snowbee things get a really good review. As I'm getting into my trout fishing again it could be used for everything from buzzers to Kate McLarens with nothing bigger than a size 12 hook unless I tie up some dry's and possibly bass flies too. Would it do that range? If so how much would you want for it?

6. Bass

You can have it, just pass it on to someone else if you upgrade. I have to drive down to W Sussex this week so I will drop it off with a few flies.
    David

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass

Iain

I have used the Snowbee Fly Mate for years and have been very satisfied with it. One advantage is that it will allow you to use a large range of hook sizes. So you can tie small trout flies or salmon or saltwater or pike flies with the same vice.

David

• Like Like x 1
  8. Salmon

Awesome!!!! Thanks David
    The stuff that comes out of this forum must be hard to believe by anyone thats not part of it. You're a great person David:smiley-signs101:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  9. Wrasse

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guest

Iain, take a look at the dyna king range theyr'e not particularly cheap (they start at around £150) but if your going to get into it in a serious way then they really are worth the money, iv'e got the supreme model and can reccomend it highly.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Salmon

Thanks Gethin. I've got one coming soon by the looks of it but I'll definitely bear that in mind when I get addicted to the new hobby of fly tying!

12. Snapper

I'd just like to resurrect this thread as I too am looking for a budgetish vice for starting. I'd like to tie Caro flies and assists though.

Anyone else got a snowbee Fly mate going free? lol

Looking on ebay and its all a bit overwhelming really.

13. Striper

You sorted with a vice yet, Lee.

14. Pollock

HMH, Dyna-king C&F - wife uses Dyna-king. Pop up to Sportfish in Reading

15. Snapper

forgot all about this thread. I haven't bought one yet nah, been busy with other stuff and its gone on a side burner. Deffo need to though.

16. Striper

Got one lying about if you want it. Just a basic, clamp-onto-the-table vice but it works. Used it to tie a few big pollack feathers but never sees the light of day, now.

17. Snapper

That would be really cool, what would you like for it Paul?

18. Striper

It's free, Lee. If and when you upgrade you could just pass it on to someone else that's getting into fly-tying.

PM me your address and I'll bung it in the post. Might have to be Friday as I'm trying to get away camping/fishing with my boy for a couple of days.

19. Snapper

PM sent Paul, many thanks mate :)