The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned an nice trip along the southeast coast this morning but got as far as Green island gutter but the fog descended around us and the wife was panicking aabout the rocks looming out of the mist. So headed back towards st. Aubins fort to try out the new red gills that **** had success on last week

First fish was around 1.75lbs and then another smaller fish (excuse quality of photo) of a fish around the 1lb mark

This devoured the redgill. I have to say I am quiet impressed with these lures and I will see how they go at some of the better spots

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith I know you keep telling me brown dark small lures but it is difficult to make that break from what you know and trust

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keith I know you keep telling me brown dark small lures but it is difficult to make that break from what you know and trust
Alan:

Yes it is. I fully appreciate it.

Did you see my skish report. clouds of 3 - 4" bait.
I think fish are being selective.

Try catching trout during a canis hatch...

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Alan, shame the fog spoilt your day, at least you got some fish :-D

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Have to get some of those Red Gills. How do fish them from the boat ? Cheers
All I was doing Gary is casting out, watching the V wake off the line as the lure sinks, as soon as I saw the V stop I would know the lure has stopped sinking. I then wind in quite slowly ond once or twice on the retrieve I would stop winding and allow the lure to sink back down towards the bottom but with tight line, when I am guessing it must be nearly there I would just start winding again. All the fish I had seemed to come just after I started winding after one of the drops. That is how I fish most of my paddle tails to be honest, I dont know if its the best way but it is sound for the gutters etc in anything up to 30ft with a pre-rigged softy like a sidewinder or Redgill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the advice **** . I am new to the huge pool of info that is available here on the forum, been plugging a few years now but think I must of got lucky a few times as I havent been fishing the same techniques as I read about here. Anyway thats why I was checking how you fished your lures, things dont seem as simple as they used to be. Just need to transform some of this new knowledge into a few fish now lol

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fish them in a similar way allow them to drop but I wind in very slowly moving the rod up and down a few times to impart movement into the lure

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The old ways still work Gary, swinging SPs through current seams is not much different to used to do be done with Redgills by some people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts