The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having a memory like a sieve I need to carry a reminder of fish size limits for when I a) catch something big enough to give me the option, or b) catch something at all. ;)

So I created a small iphone app with a list of UK legal fish size limits from shore, boat and the MAFF sizes for reference, for those odd occasions when I take for the table.

It's available in the app store right now (approved yesterday), but I have some promo codes for anyone on here to download it for free - it's normally £1.19. Here's the app page: http://dxn.me/fishsizes

Ping me a PM or reply in this thread and I'll drop you over a promo code. (Apple only allow a max of 50 promo codes for each version of an app.)

If there's interest, I'll look into an Android version, too, so let me know if that might be useful.

I'm also working on a catch-report/record style app, but that's a little way off being complete.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That sounds good, please send me a promo code. Might be an idea to include record sizes and/or specimen sizes?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
That's a very kind offer for the members Neil, I am sure that many will take it up :p

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats a cracking idea Neil. If I had an iphone I'd be downloading the app. Having a catch report thingey would also be good to have.I always mean to keep a record of what I catch, where, tide, weather etc but never seem to get around to it. Filling it in on the spot when I catch would be a means around this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neil that a fantastic idea and looks good to, no chance of an android version?
Thanks. I'm looking into Android versions of my few apps. I'm not a hardcore coder so it's a slightly steeper learning curve, but certainly not out of the question. I've some time off over xmas so hope to have more chance to get some Android stuff sussed out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Pete, I'll have a chat with Ben.
If you can do c# then you could likely get into objective-c without too much of a problem. Though I'm a solid php dev (it's the day-job), objective-c is still a challenge so I use a iOS framework that enables me to use javascript and html to create the apps (far more capable than it sounds). The great thing is when the framework releases an Android version, app code will cut across both platforms with very few tweaks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you can do c# then you could likely get into objective-c without too much of a problem. Though I'm a solid php dev (it's the day-job), objective-c is still a challenge so I use a iOS framework that enables me to use javascript and html to create the apps (far more capable than it sounds). The great thing is when the framework releases an Android version, app code will cut across both platforms with very few tweaks.
Nope..... Not a feckin' word of it.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Unfortunately I understood all of that ... and I am not a developer either :'(

Please ping me a code as I will be upgrading to an iPhone soon - can you scale it for the iPad too?

Be good to look at something like the insight fish db a few members use here - alot of possibilities ... if you can create a version that you can use in the US & Japan you could make a tidy profit from it ...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've not had a play with the iPhone SDK. Work keep asking me to do it so may have a play next week when it should be quiet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've not had a play with the iPhone SDK. Work keep asking me to do it so may have a play next week when it should be quiet.
If you want to develop stuff rapidly - great for prototyping, useful to get a feel for things and MUCH faster than obj-c to start with - grab a copy of Nimblekit (there are others like Appcelerator Titanium or Phonegap). You can use Nimblekit free in the xcode simulator, only needs a registration ($99) if you want to run/test on an actual device.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Be good to look at something like the insight fish db a few members use here - alot of possibilities ... if you can create a version that you can use in the US & Japan you could make a tidy profit from it ...
I was pondering on creating an international one but have no idea where to start to be sure the info is accurate. Any pointers to data would be much appreciated.
Promo code in your PM.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I know, Barry, this post ventured into some non-fishing geekness. Give me a shout when you have your iphone sorted if you want a promo code - just means you get the app for free rather than paying the normal quid and a bit.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts