The Lure Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be correct in saying that usiing surface lures is a waste of time with water tempetures being below 8 deg atm?
I read somewhere that the metabolism of bass is really reduced at these low tempetures, should we be concentrating on the sea bed where the bass will be mooching about?
I was thinking about doing some twitching with a Xlayer or shads this weekend.

Any comments welcomed :-D

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'd agree with that. It's crab time of year, they are peeling at the moment here so the bass will be mooching between and under rocks and weed beds, not chasing eels and little fish about. Though I do find a slow worked lure in shallower water between wed beds works well March/April. They just can't resist an easy meal after the winter spawning off the coast.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just like we are fishing soft lures for other fish, try a xlayer fished slowly, slide and follow it down into likely holes.
At prime or optimum times, Bass in winter might still react to a fast reaction bait like a rattle trap lure so we carry both slow falling plastics, slow bottom rolled carolina bladed spinnerbaits, suspending lures that sit just below the visible range and of course, standard xlayers (most likely weightless texan rigged).
Either fish very slowly and stopped, or, very very flash by styles with abrupt changes in direction. Bass can and do react out of instinct even in cold water. However, you need very 'clear' water for the latter to indicate the presence of Bass. Often, given the indication, one of the slower, more subtle methods will give you the best chance of connection.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The Yozuri Mag Popper worked well for me last winter Early in the year with snow on the ground i had some good fish to 5lb Just slow them down with longer pauses None from the surface this year but have had follows from good fish on a Pachinko

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i still chuck one out every sesh you never know just slow it down

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
In very shallow water I find that the difference between surface and subsurface lures tends to blur. If the water is five foot or less, then even in clod water the bass will tend to respond well. Particularly if it is fished in such a way that the bass don't get to see it for long. Over a series of drop offs or across an area of blouders.
Basically it is a version of Keith "reaction" bite technique.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts