The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I need to make the lure forum ruler smaller to fit in my bag for those trips out across the rocks etc. Almost lost it a few times so feel like breaking it to mend it as it were.

I know naff all about this sort of thing but when I get an idea that's that... i am no professional bodger that's for sure!!

the ruler is 50mm wide and 3mm thick.

two ideas, please comment guys.

1. Hinged with standard hinge

Hinge.jpg

Will need to cut the ruler, the cut section being the same width as the hingy bit what sticks out so it is the same length when fitted with the hinge. Should fold flat, might have to get the dremmel out and skim the plastic down so the flappy bits of the hinge lay flat.

Comments??

2. Homemade Hinge...

Hmm, well just an idea but more flexible...

• Cut the ruler with as thin a cut as possible.
  • Get some nylon webbing straps (like they use to tie things to roof racks, the 2 inch wide stuff like bag handles are made of whetever that's called)
  • Stick the straps with epoxy or something similar to the back of the rules with the cut tight together, maybe a couple of countesunk very short screws as well. One hinge!!
am I an idiot??

£15 for a new one when I mess it up then!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I think this will need the Administrators blessing as some people could slightly extend it with the modifications (no slight on your honourable name Andy!) BUT.... Shaun Austen had a spanking idea for a ruler that he explained to Mike Hayes and Nathan Taylor. If it could be done then it would solve the storage issue. The current ruler is a pain in the *rse to carry.

Reactions: Shaun Austin

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree totally Andrew. Planned to take a pic post mods against another ruler of some sort. I simply don't carry it at the moment as my bag is too small which is an issue if the wrasse comp is on length.

We have the ruler we have so figure I may as well try and do something with it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I reckon the first idea would be better Andy. The ruler would still be rigid when opened flat. Could you get such short cs screws? I assume that you'd defo have to glue the hinges to the ruler??

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
If it dont fit in the waders or wading jacket it aint coming with me, its the golden rule when lure fishing minimum of gear..............

·
Registered
48 Posts
i don't personally think this ruler thing is a great idea,great if your a boat / kayak angler then there is no problem, but when wading from reef to reef carrying a one metre stick of plastic is a great pain in the @55 .
Not to mention looking a complete fool carrying it.
seriously i can see it now , what u got there mate ?,tenryu, no the white thing ? thats my ruler
I am gonna find it a bit weird that using it to variefy a fish,which is gonna be more awkward to transport than my scales and sling which i currently use.
Is there no other way ?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
it folds in two. I think its a good idea in the sense that it makes it fair. I take mine everywhere I fish and I'm still yet to get a comment on it lol. You may be able to get velcro and attach it to the front of your sling bag? I think its a work in progress but it seemed to work pretty well for the weymouth and jersey bass comps. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
yet to get a comment on it, some of the lads in our club are gonna truly rip the pi55 i can tell u mate.
like i say its gonna be weird for me, we know that on bass tapes there is alot of research gone in over the years to say roughly how big a bass is according to weight but will this work with wrasse?
Not splitting hairs here but i dont take a sling bag,i'm gonna have to buy one first, then have serious look at adaptions of how i can best store it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When your used to climbing up and down cliffs with a 14ft Zziplex and all associated cod gear carrying a 1m rule is a piece of p#ss. drill a hole through either end, as much bungee cord as necessary and carry it over your shoulder/back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When your used to climbing up and down cliffs with a 14ft Zziplex and all associated cod gear carrying a 1m rule is a piece of p#ss. drill a hole through either end, as much bungee cord as necessary and carry it over your shoulder/back.
i am and still do frequently only i'm not after cod/huss/conger am i,,,, i'm after wrasse on small sp's on a 7ft rod and think its an unnessesary evil, especially when a fibre or standard tape would do and take up a fraction of the space.
Great idea with the bungee cord though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts