The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alreet.

I'm off to France for a family holiday in a couple of weeks. We are staying in Saint Valery Sur Somme which is on the Picardy coast. I've done a bit of research on the web about bass fishing here but have drawn a bit of a blank. The only Bass related information of the area is that thjere is a shop in town that is listed as a dealer for Ultimate fishing.

So the plan is to head to the shop and ask for some local advice. I've got pretty basic GCSE / Holiday french so could anyone please help with the following phrases and words?

High Tide
Low Tide
Tide table

Bass fishing with lures
From the shore

Anything else you think may come up please add.

Also if anyone (Jersey or Dutch people maybe) have any experience of the fishing in Picardy? It looks like endless miles of sandy beaches but the somme estuary looks interesting for bouncing SP's through on jig heads. I've tried Peche au Bar using google translate but haven't had any success.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...ry-sur-Somme,+Somme,+Picardy,+France&t=h&z=12

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wotcha
I've found in France that a bit of effort goes a long way, and keep it simple to avoid getting out of your depth. You already know 'peche au bar' (bass fishing) which is a good start; leurre = lure. haut = high, bas = low (I think). Find some anglers, use your best franglais and if all else fails buy them a drink.
Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pete

With the exception of the lucky guys on Jersey, most UK anglers will be astonished at the huge amount of lure fishing kit available at the average coastal tackle shop in France, so I would suggest either taking lots of money or leaving your wallet behind when you visit them, because you will face lots of temptation! :wink:

Glen

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one. Thanks. I was thinking the shops there might be a bit tempting. Just looking at where I'm going I think it may be a bit cenetered around boat fishing rather than shore. Hopefully the few phrases and my broken french will be enough to get me on a few marks.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Pete, you'll be able to find tide-tables on-line before you go. Google-earth will be your best bet for finding marks. & once you get into the tackle shops, a bit of pointing and pidgeon French will soon get you what you want - they'll find a way to communicate when you pull your wallet out ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts