The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Very few I believe. There's a lake near me that was allegedly stocked with LM a long time ago, don't know if they're still there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sod the Bass lets get some of them Snakeheads stocked lol, wed have no native fish left but would be fun on lures lol (This is a joke)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There were supposedly LM bass in Dorset many years ago not sure where though. I doubt they would survive recent Winters. Smallmouth are a different story, now if somebody stocked them they could well survive.....
They do have LM in France and Spain though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looked into importing Large Mouth Bass as a possible dissertation subject last year. They are on the Environmental agency banned list. It would make a nice little buisness importing them and stocking them in day ticket fisheries.

I then though what about Barramundi and a few other fresh water lure species. Could make some kind of lure fishing theme park with species from across the globe......dreams.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It was at Creech Mike. what makes you say they wouldn't survive the winters? I know they prefer a warmer climate but they survive OK in the northern US states where the lakes freeze in winter.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Looked into importing Large Mouth Bass as a possible dissertation subject last year. They are on the Environmental agency banned list. It would make a nice little buisness importing them and stocking them in day ticket fisheries.

I then though what about Barramundi and a few other fresh water lure species. Could make some kind of lure fishing theme park with species from across the globe......dreams.
Problem is they have a tendency to escape (with or without help ;-)). Ref. Zander

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I might be wrong, I just didn't think they went that far north. I know they catch smallmouth in the Great Lakes and Canada though. Stock both is they survive!!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I heard the US stocked them at a few of their UK military bases. Would be cool to get something like that going on. I've seen small lakes with some sort of aerator system, could you effectively regulate the temp of large areas of water? Just enough to keep the fish in a state of suspension during our coldest months?

Could be big bucks in something like that I should think.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I might be wrong, I just didn't think they went that far north. I know they catch smallmouth in the Great Lakes and Canada though. Stock both is they survive!!!!
I lived in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania for a summer a couple of years ago and did OK for LM bass on Lake Albert, up to 5lb or so. I learnt a lot about UL there too, fishing for crappie and other panfish as well as the bass and pike. The LM bass fight quite well for a freshwater fish

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
damn it. so I'm not gonna be able to get any to put in my pond then...

anyone got any ideas for other fish I could get in there? (suitable for lure-catching)

There's millions of raoch/rudd in there at the moment, so plenty of food. THey're no fun to catch though, just go for a bare hook.:-?
Perch, and although i dont like the idea of stocking a fish that wouldnt naturally live there - Chub. Trout would also be good.

Reactions: Tom Massey

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one guys! this is defo food for thought! There's trout in the stream that runs alongside the pond, but I don't thnk there are any in the actual pond, as they only connect through a waterfall type outlet arangement.

When I was a lad, I used to catch good sized roach in the pond (around a foot long and maybe a bit more) but they don't seem to be around anymore, maybe the heron got em? or would you say there might be a predator in there already? the inlet is just a drainage ditch, so it's unlikely anything would have got in that way.

Someone gave us about 200 Koi, so we stuck them in, but then that was just like a heron's dream! 200 brightly coloured meals just an inch below the water!! that was a couple of years ago now, needless to say there aren't any left now!

Defo need somewhere to keep up the practice when the sea is too hellish!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have caught a fair few LM bass out in the US and they are a great species to catch with spectacular takes and fights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts