The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a day of monumental come-backs !!!! This afternoon, the Welsh pulled off a bit of a Harry Houdini against the Sweaties . . . . but 'the' comeback of the day undoubtedly came this morning !!

Following some drunken discussions in the shout-box last night, a plan was hatched to do some fluff-chucking this morning. The beer was curtailed, and with only a mildly thick head this morning, i set off at 6:30am to go and pick up Marc Westwood. We worked out last night, that the last time i went Trout Fishing / Fly Fishing, was 16 years ago (christ, where did 16 years go ??). Marc very kindly let me use his back-up set-up, and all i took was myself & some grub / drinks.

I hoped that i'd be able to get my casting up to scratch, and not disgrace myself, and although i did fluff a few, generally i didnt do too badly.

Things started well enough, when i hooked into a fish on about my 4th or 5th cast, but after a 20 second battle, the fish was off. Still, grinning from ear to ear, i was enormously encouraged by such a promising start. Another couple of follows later, with plenty of fish rising, and we were eager to land our first fish of the day. Marc was first on the score-board with a beautifully coloured Brown Trout . . .

We then had a quiet spell, where a cold biting wind came into play, and we made a move across to the other side of the lake. No joy there, and we were trying to find a pattern that would get things going. Marc then asked me whether i wanted to try an "experimental fly" ??? I was up for it, so tied on a white & blue pattern. Marc had bought them last year after reading an article that had tipped them as a good cold conditions fly. He had never used them, so it was up to me to give them a crack. Within about 5 minutes, my rod was bent into a really scrappy Rainbow Trout . . . . after several really strong runs, and much giggling & chuckling from me, it eventually found its way into the net (expertly handled by Marc). . . . . .
A fine fish, and a wonderful way to come back after a 16 year gap . . . . .

Absolutely delighted with myself, we fished on . . . Marc also changed to the white & blue pattern, and the fish came on the feed . . . .

A 'very' tidy Brownie for me (a pb at around 2.5lb) . . .

Marc in action . . .

Fish-on for Marc . . .

. . . & a Brownie landed (& returned) . . .

A beautiful scene . . .

. . a 3rd Brownie for Marc . . . .

. . . and my 3rd Rainbow of the day . . .

So, the final tally was 3 Brownies for Marc, and 3 Rainbow & a Brownie for me. A very successful, pleasing & peaceful morning.

Looks like i'll be investing in a fly set-up of my own this week !!!!!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Well done Si, good report and pictures thank you for sharing

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tidy Darts boys! Nice plan and well executed. If I can beg, borrow, steal or hire an outfit I'll join you next time. Did you have the place to yourselves? Do tell Marc to smile next time though - lovely looking brownie and would have bought a smile to me face! Fishing is fishing and you both got your string pulled - well done. :-D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
great sesh fellas,lovely brownies.are the pics from the lumix si?.check out www.graiglwydsprings.co.uk and check out the size of the trout.up the road from my house.great place to stay for a fishing holiday and not far from very bassy grounds.cheers daz

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments Gents.

. Did you have the place to yourselves? Do tell Marc to smile next time though - lovely looking brownie and would have bought a smile to me face! Fishing is fishing and you both got your string pulled - well done. :-D
Only one other angler arrived at the same time as us (a woman :shock:!!!), and a small handful of others tipped-up a bit later on, but it was very uncrowded & peaceful. In fact, the noisiest thing there was a Woodpecker pecking 7 bells out of some poor defenceless trees !! & yes, Marc does look a little miserable in that pic. He was happy though . . honest !!! :-D

are the pics from the lumix si?.
Yep. Pleased with the quality of the pics so far, albiet i think i can get them better with more use of the different pre-set modes on it. Hopefully i'll get plenty of practice on the Bass this year !!! :-D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice fishing guys!! Let me know when you fish Garnffrwd next will be up for a sesh!! I also need to remind Jaime (the owner) about his expeditions in a Birmingham srtip club!!! couldnt concentrate on my demonstration at the go fishing show in the NEC the following day!!!
Iestyn, sounds like grounds for negotiating a discount??

·
Registered
843 Posts
Jesus, I look like I need a good sh*t, Next time I promise to smile!!

I look forward to seeing Iestyn and Tim at Garnffrwd. A Welsh bumble pre Spring Bass run. Cracking day, I was more excited to see Simon catch than me.

Lovely days fishing

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice fishing, Marc. Defo have a pre-bass meet there.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well done guys just what I needed to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts