The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WP_20170105_18_23_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20170105_18_28_24_Pro.jpg
We went for a little bit of winter sun and a well earned rest. I packed a travel rod and reel and a bag full of lures. I was there 4 days doing very little other than laying around in the sun and supping a few cold ones.
I fished a couple of evenings close to the hotel or down by the harbour. Conditions didn't seem right. Offshore winds keeping the swell down and the water was crystal clear.
The third evening I tried there was a big swell coming in and there were a few local lure fishermen out there on the rocks. Conditions were a bit risky fishing on the rocks that night. One of the locals took a full wave over him. He had to drop his rod to hold on to something to stop himself being washed away. He gave up after that. I was on edge and didn't fancy risking it anymore so moved back a bit casting back into the lagoon rather than out into the surf. Almost right away the line went tight but it didn't feel like a take, more like a lump of weed. I started to pump and wind it in. I could feel a bit of movement in it. I still wasn't sure what it was but it didn't take long before I went for the surf trying to get out of the lagoon. Line started stripping and the shimano 3m travel rod was bent double. I slowed it down and gained a bit of line before it went again. This happened a few times with each time getting it closers and closer to the rocks. I managed to get a flash of its big tail this time.
I have read about a few of the guys on here hooking in to some nice fish here but getting bit through. I had 30lb braid with a 40lb fluorocarbon trace. It was the big game stuff, a lot thicker than standard 40lb fluorocarbon.
The fish was tired now and ready to land. I timed it with a big wave which washed it a nice way up on the rocks. I held it there while the wave receded then let the next wave wash it up to a safe place I could reach it. The fish was near to me now, the rod in my right hand which I held high up tilted back behind me while I reached down to pick it up with my left hand. Just when I grabbed it the rod went ping, snapping about a foot down from the top.
Wow this was a cracking bluefish somewhere between 4.5/5kg. The small 90mm dual hardcore sinking minnow was hooked under the chin and gill plate. Probably why I didn't get bit through. I made the mistake of letting my thumb get to close to its mouth when I grabbed it. I was bleeding all the way back to the hotel.
It was a good fish and I was more than happy to hook and land it.
I repaired the rod enough to use it for the rest of the holiday but never got to test it again. Conditions changed back to what it was when I fished the first couple of times. I tried most evenings up to dark with not even a knock. I didn't venture far from the hotel fishing which was why I probably didn't catch much but it was a holiday and a rest I needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teeth, I had 2 fingers in the gills when it started to thrash around when I just grabbed it so put my thumb I its mouth for a better grip. He bit down hard on it lol. My own fault to be honest

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's a cracking fish Nick. A new one for your species list? I'm off to Crete for Easter. Think there a chance of Bluefish out there. Shame about the rod!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dave. It fought well compared to a bass or Pollack of that size. I spoke to Ben (Art of fishing) he said he could get that top part of the rod for me. I did manage a quick fix on it so not a total lose. Tight lines for Crete.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Hi Nick

That is a belting fish for El Cotillo.

My biggest bluefish, caught from the rocks below the tower, has been around 3lb.

I'm out again in April so you've renewed my enthusiasm but will make sure I pack some 26lb AFW wire.

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Toby.
Steve I fished that mark below the tower 2 separate nights with no results. The spot that looked the most promising was the outside of the harbour wall. I didn't try it until the last night.
I caught the bluefish on the entrance to the first lagoon the other end of the village. Its the one with the little café on the beach.
I had a snorkel and mask with me and the first day there I went for a little swim in that lagoon. Lots of fish in the lagoon, most it bait size but out near the entrance was a big shoal of Barracuda. No size to them, biggest probably 45cm average 30cm. That was midday so kind of thought that last hour before sunset there would be something bigger in there hunting around.
I caught it on a Duel Hardcore Heavy Sinking Minnow 90. A cracking little lure that cast like a bullet at 26grms and you could fish high up on the rocks keeping out of trouble and it would still hold in the water ok. I also had the 110 in the same style which is 35grms. I see the locals using the same.
I used the Berkley Trilene Big Game Fluorocarbon its a lot thicker than standard Fluoro. I ask about the Wire trace and was advised to go fluoro.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought when I caught it Steve if I don't catch another fish on this holiday I would still be happy catching that one. I went home happy but another would of made me happier.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Teeth, I had 2 fingers in the gills when it started to thrash around when I just grabbed it so put my thumb I its mouth for a better grip. He bit down hard on it lol. My own fault to be honest
You're lucky to come home with two thumbs Nick.

They have a wicked set of gnashers

IMGP0231.JPG

They also have this unnerving habit of following your every move with their bright yellow eye when you're unhooking them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts