The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: has anybody ever grooved a Fuji ring? I have fished beach rods, lure rods, match rods for years with Fuji rings but have never ever grooved one. I have to admit to becoming slightly obsessed with SIC rings on my lure rods but is it really necessary? I am now looking at a baitcaster from the US which does NOT have SICs, is that heresy? Will it bite me back?
Not really interested in 'I heard of' type replies, has anybody ever grooved one of their own? If so, how?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nope, never seen it Mike, and if you are talking the rods that you mentioned earlier-wouldn't worry about them, mine got used for tuna, jacks, tarpon, snapper, pike, bass, and the rings still haven't got a mark on them-rod is getting on for ten+ years old now.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mike - I have some 25 year old Zziplex beachcasters which I have hammered over the years but I have never grooved any Fuji rings on them. Broken yip - inserts popped out yip, but no grooves.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was thinking about this a while ago and decided that I've never actually had any problems with any of the Fuji guides, of any 'level'. If there was a rod I wanted, I can't imagine the guides ever putting me off.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If it is St Croix rod you are talking about it is fitted with Fuji Alconite guides, which are more than sufficient for use in combination with braid. Over the years I had dozens of rods fitted with these guides and I haven’t had a problem with a single one of them.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Some guides that are not top quality can go green with sea use, and some (namely the singles on the Shimano Technium) can have problems with the actual metal frame of the eye snapping for no aparent reason. On my Technium in two years I think I replaced every eye bar one!! As it goes for grooves, I have never seen one in any eye apart from snake eyes on a fly rod.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have custom bait rods that were built for me by Terry Eustace in 1983/84 (T72 models) and they have Fuji rings on them which are totally perfect.
Saying that though the rods have never been subjected to Braid and only used with mono lines.
These were my first propper Pike rods and are made of glass fibre and weigh a ton,but I love them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts