The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ventured out at the crack of dawn back to the mark that produced me about 18 odd bass on my previous trip. Last time I didn’t have a fish above 2lb but I had so many takes and dropped fish let alone the ones I banked.

It was a mild , still morning with the first glow of dawn when I arrived. I was feeling confident as I thought the tides would be right again for this mark. I started with a Feed Shallow and within 5 casts landed a modest bass.

The feed shallow was getting swept round in the current a little too quick so I changed to a shad. A few casts later and I was in again with another little chap. I had another 3 small fish, one of which absolutely devoured the shad!

A little further out there was some bait scattering before unseen predators so I switched to a small Patchinko and on my first cast bass after bass slashed at it but nothing connected! I had three in the next 15 minutes but all foul hooked and all under 2lb. I then got one fairly in the mouth. Each cast was attacked by numerous bass that must have all been blind as so few connected!

Another couple on the Patchinko and I then switched to the fly rod. I used a small sandeel type pattern in white with a dash of blue.

I managed a couple on the fly rod but unfortunately the only decent one I hooked broke the hook! I guess it must have been weak as although it was a better fish, it wasn’t a monster.

I couldn’t resist a return to the Patchinko and again I had another couple but nothing of any size.

I think I had another haul of around 16 fish with about 5 times as many takes that didn’t connect let alone my infamous catch and release technique. It was especially pleasing to get a few on the fly rod.

This mark has again produced a good number of fish but all quite small. It makes for fun fishing but I am not sure why there isn’t the odd bigger fish amongst them. I feel a little uncomfortable catching so many immature bass but I use barbless hooks and they all went back ostensibly none the worse for their experience. Are these the same fish I caught last time or is it just a ‘nursery’ area that attracts huge shoals of immature fish?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Andrew, well done, nice pics of the fish :-D

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Andrew. We have a couple of places that sound very similar, loads of small Bass like those you have taken there. The frustrating thing is that I see the bigger fish in amongst them, but the little chaps don't seem to give them a look in!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Regardless of size, that is a great session and well done on the fly-caught fish. We had a similar session recently and on light gear it's great fun. We went back a week later and saw lots of better fish but landed none, but they were there which means we will try again! I guess there are better fish where you are fishing but you would need someone more experienced than me to tell you how to catch them!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Great report and pictures Andrew.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cracking session Andrew,
Your definately getting in amongst them. Well done on getting a couple on fly.
Using the Patchinko100 is just so much fun when the bass are up for it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts