The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t been out for a week or so and on my last trip I blanked as I managed to choose a spot that was still coloured from this damn May rot. Last night I decided to try somewhere new, I have fished there before but not for some years. I made my way to the shore to be greeted by rather coloured water and a lot of weed floating in on the tide. I put on a weighted sluggo as the wind was in my face and I wanted something with some weight. The first few casts confirmed that the weed was going to be a nuisance. No luck and I moved up the beach and switched to a sinking Tide Minnow although nervous that the trebles would attract too much weed. I twitched it round in the current, bang - fish on! Not a monster but always welcome.

Few minutes later I had another almost identical in size.

5 minutes later I was into yet another fish that again was around the same size.

Now things got really silly! I must have had a fish every other cast for about an hour! All the fish were under 2lb. I gave up with photos as there is a limit to how many pictures of pound and a half bass anyone needs! I must have a large shoal of juvenile bass in front of me. It was taking me longer to unhook the fish and return them than get the next take! I know its not uncommon to get large catches in the West Country, Ireland of the Channel Islands but I have never seen this in Sussex.

The sport was great fun but strangely not one bigger fish even though I was convinced that I would eventually get a better one. Eventually as the tide peaked, the fish disappeared and I headed home very happy despite having embedded a treble in my thumb from a wriggling fish! As i drove home I thought about how many I had caught as i had lost count. Initially I thought it was over 20 but thinking sensibly I reckon I had about 17 or 18 fish but not one was over 2lb! The number of missed takes and fish that dropped off (my catch and release is famous!) could have made it over 50 if I had banked them all!

Shame there wasn’t a better fish in there but catching fish of any size is fun and they all went back. All in all, an excellent evenings sport.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Awesome session Mate, very nicely done. 16-17 bass in a tide in Sussex is quite an achievement (Sussex isn't Jersey, big bags of bass on a plug tend to be very rare).
And at night too!!
Really well done, you must be well chuffed.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Brilliant stuff Andrew.

You obviously found a shoal.

Next time it happens, go deeper, further, inside or to one side. Keep trying because sometimes, bigger fish will be around.
One sure fire way is, stop winding that sinking lure and count it down.

Give it a try.

Well done though, awesome tally.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew,
Awesome session Mate, very nicely done. 16-17 bass in a tide in Sussex is quite an achievement (Sussex isn't Jersey, big bags of bass on a plug tend to be very rare).
And at night too!!
Really well done, you must be well chuffed.
Dave I would have swapped a quantity for your quality of fish. Thinking about it now I am sure I understated the number and I reckon it must have been about 20 actually landed. My only regret was that i didnt take the fly rod as it was close range stuff and that size bass would have been fun! If you fancy a go sometime....!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very well done mate, fantastic fishing...... Was it daytime or night time mate, looks like it was dark?
Cheers Nathan. The action started just as dusk was setting in but still good daylight and ended up around 10.30 when i needed the headlight to unhook.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Adndrew!! Brilliant session!!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts