The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Any one have any tips on lures to specifically target garfish?
Wanna have a go as have seen loads crashing about on the last few trips out.
Also any general tips would be great!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They seem to like a small, shallow, moving bait around here! I did have some fun playing around with a shoal of small ones earlier in the year, just watching how they reacted to baits. Weirdly for me though, I've actually forgotten exactly what they preferred that day, apart from the things mentioned. I usually remember these things super clearly without even trying?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Garfish can be caught with lures very well, the only thing is that they are difficult to hook...

I have caught garfish in many ways, in norway and during wrechfishing with pilks of around 100 grams and a 3/0 trebble...

but just a few weeks ago i give it a go with small lures, there was no wind so i could play around a bit. The most fun i had was with a Megabass Dog-X, i just had a few hookups but did they like that little surface lure! Sometimes you could sea a whole bunce of them swimming just behind it and attacking it. I also caugt a mackerel that way, which during the strike launched itself completly in the air with the lure in it's mouth haha.

For garfish small lures works best, like the little spoons, little plugs and the little surface lures. Just keep in mind that you have to use small hooks.

Another succesfull way of catching them is to use a large float of 20 gr or more, with a 1,5 to 2 meter long leader around 30/00 tot 40/00 max. and a small longshank hook size 6 or so. As bait you could use small strips of a mackerelbelly, or from a garfish.
You throw this in and than spin it very slowly back in. When you see, or feel a garfish biting, just give it some slack and then set the hook.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Silk loops can work really well.

I can tell you though, get it wrong and it is a PITA keep feeling weight and then they are gone.
There must be a special way to get it to work. Bites to bright silks aren't the issue.

Keeping em on, is.

The Turkish silk loop and Danish ones look like they have graduated sized fibres in the loop.

I'd like to get some specifically made ones.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Err, no.

I called and they said I might be able to collect it......between 3 and 5pm today. Hmmm. I don't think so somehow.

So you'll have to make do with the garlic.

:rofl:

Seriously, I have enough left.

PS. I was going to try appealing to the snipe's libido with the electric senko, what do you reckon?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts