GATARIDE ZONK | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

GATARIDE ZONK

Discussion in 'Diving Hard Lures' started by {name}, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Blanker

2. Guest

DONT DO IT!!!!!! If you file off slightly to much the bib will dislocate whilst working the lure. If you get it just right it will be ok , but when i did it i went slightly too far and will probably need to glue the hinge. I havent tried mine yet but im sure it will need gluing. My advise would be to just leave it be and see how it goes , if one breaks then maybe try the mod on your replacement. I now lots of members here have had no problems with bibs breaking.

3. Plastic Fantastic

Its a personnel thing but for the price of them there are other lures out there that are just as good and arn't fragile.
    Working within the mould tooling industry I can tell you that its an easy problem for Megabass to sort out (very easy and quick).
    They are obviously not bothered that the plugs are self destruct because people still go out and buy them etc,therefore they sell more.......

4. Pollock

Leave it be mate they are not that easy to brake anyway ive been using them for the last few years and only broke one my fault for casting to close to a rock,just use and abuse them mate they are a great lure if it brakes its not the end of the world just buy another 12:):)

5. Don't touch anything Christos..... Yes they do break you just have to use it in the right places and don't abuse it. Have had one for over a season and it's fine...so far. You could damage it before you even get it in the water..................:shock::shock:

6. Pollock

DON'T DO IT.............. As people are saying above. If you file off to much your lure is useless. Most people that I know that use these lures have had no problems. However if you do manage to break one Andy Mason has the diamentions on a drawing for a Zonk 120 bib, so you could always build & glue one of these bibs on making the lure a deeper diving Zonk 120. This subject along with the bib drawing has all been posted before. Have a search around the Forum.

Regards

7. Sea Trout

Just buy them in tens (they will and do break) - had 2 break first cast last year (grrrr)

I would change the hooks too (they tend to fall apart)

8. Snapper

I had the bib break on one or two of these lures. So I tried the modification and had no further problems; however, I only filed the nodes slightly so that it required a fair amount of pressure to flip the bib down. I would like to say this was by design on my part but was just luck as that was how I modified the first lure and filed the rest in the same manner. However, on one occasion whilst fishing I hit an obstacle and the bib flipped upwards rather than downwards if that makes sense and of course the bib broke anyway, (but that seemed to be a once off). So it’s up to you if you could afford to purchase two lures perhaps you could try modifying one and conduct your own experiment to establish which works best for you...

Personally I think the Zonk Gataride is a fantastic lure, but for that price I feel it should be fit for purpose within our waters straight from the box. When my current Gataride's expire I will replace them with something else perhaps the IMA Sasuke 140. Though I will still use the original suspending Zonk with the regular style bib.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. Sea Trout

Would be nice to have a zonk with the carbon bib that runs shallow & floats for sure

10. Striper

Too true Tom!

I have actually glued mine in the "down" position ... not an issue and doesn't affect the casting imho either ... drop of epoxy when its flapped down - job done.

I will give you a ring about that trip :)

11. Striper

I'm not sure what the thinking behind the moving bib is. surely the aerodynamics cant be affected too much by that relatively small movement especially as it's pointing away from the direction of travel.

12. Chub

I have only broken 2 zonks so far and been using them for about a year now but totally my fault
    do not bother filling the bib down as i find they break before the bib any way .
    if they do break then just fix them by fitting a home made bib
    they work just as well and do catch fish and the best thing about that is you can plain the bib to your choice of depth
    a great philosopher once said a pitcher paints a thousand words
    so here you go

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Chub

ooh forgot to mention once you have put it all together and all is ok make sure you superglue it in place if you need to adjust the angle of the bib once super glued in place just use steam from the kettle to soften the plastic bib.
    best material for bib is a trusty old ice cream container

14. Snapper

Thanks Gavin that's very helpful. Although I'm sure I would make a right mess of it. Perhaps you should contact Megabass and offer to redesign the Zonk for them! Like Adrian and Nick I can't help but wonder why the Gataride bibs are designed as they are in the first place.

Thanks again for the detailed photos and instructions.

Walter

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  15. Blanker

Thanks a lot guys

thanks guys for the info i think i ll leave it be and if brake buy another one,since i am kinda low on money and cant afford to try that and brake my lure before i even try it :mrgreen:

16. Striper

On a slightly different note, have many people tried the small 77 Gataride, was wondering how the smaller size performed?

17. Chub

i did have one in the cruising blue colour for a few trips until i lost it due to a broken tip eye . caught a 6.2lb pollack on it .cast just as well as the bigger version but found it had a much titer action .would buy another one but there roughly the same price as the larger ones