The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really follow politics. Hang on, let me rephrase that, I try not to follow politics for the fear or self harming every time one of those tossers opens their mouth.

I thought a Manifesto was a new car from Ford, so I haven't bothered reading any of them... However my question is this:

Which is the best party to vote for where fishing is concerned? Which one of those slimey leaders has the strongest stance against commercials over fishing?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good question actually James. If I do vote then that's like to be where it'll go. They'll all do an equally bad job of cocking everything else up so its the only thing I care about.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
None of them. They are all afraid of the NFFO, because they can hurt any political party where it hurts which is why you will never get an MLS increase, let alone stop trawling and netting. One thing you did get right "their all a bunch of over paid Tossers"

End of rant - Standing by to get burned................

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do any of the B.A.S.S lads on here know the above. Sorry to bring this tread up again but I genuinely would like to know without having to wade through each party manifesto.

Yes I know, I'm a lazy sod.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is what I concludeded from me enquiries / letter writing over the past 5 years or so:

I recall the Lib Dems a few years back fully supporting the efforts to increase the minimum landing size (MLS) for bass and making all the right noises about supporting recreational angling. I found this encouraging and somewhat suprising for a party that is rich in (mostly marginal) costal SW England seats where doing anything that appears to harm the "plucky hard done by commercials" is not often seen as a sharp political move. I recall they had a launch / photo op down in Weston-S-Mere but I cant recall the exact details of what they were launching (think it was anti-pair trawling) - A search on google might result in greater clarity on their policy on this although it was about 4 years back.

When writing many letters asking in relation to sea angling in general and more specifically about getting the MLS for bass raised I clearly recal the Consevative shaddow fisheries man replied saying they did not support any moves that harmed the British commercial fishing sector. Conservative MEPs have also been somewhat cold.

Labour has talked the talk, made moves to change policy in terms of the MLS, but ultimately they bottled it in relation to the MLS and reversed the decision. The problem lies not within the MPs as a whole but within the specific ministry and the lobying power of the commercials (something that is always going to be a problem I fear).

The Green Party MEP I coresponded with was very anti large scale commercial fishing and seemingly pro RSA. Dont know about BNP or UKIP as not parties that I would consider voting for and have never writen to them or researched them in relation to the above. Might be interesting to know what the monster raving take is ?

Happy voting

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts