Getting in a tangle... | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Getting in a tangle...

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mackerel

When fishing with the Lucky Craft Sammy and Gunfish, I am experiencing an issue, that on about 50% of casts, the front treble on the lure is getting tangled round the line, rendering the lure useless for that retrieve. If it doesn't happen straight away, It sometimes happens half way into the retrieve. Anyone know what might be causing this, and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Banned

Sounds like your technique might be a bit wonkey
    The sammy is IMO one of the easiest lures to walk
    It's hard to put into print but I'll have a go....

Cast your lure and feather the line gently as it lands

Push the bail arm over and (gently pinch the braid with two fingers) and take up the slack braid with your reel until you feel the weight of the lure

Let the braid go

At a slow to medium speed turn the reel handle

Twitch the rod tip away from the lure about 9" while keeping up the same reel speed
    Then move the tip back and repeat over and over

I might be wrong but I think you are being to aggressive with the tip movement, this is causing the lure to go too far on the zig and zag movement
    Try it a lot slower and calmer then as you get the feel of it you can gradually pick up the speed/aggression

Hope this makes sense o_O it did in my head :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Banned

If the hook is catching up mid cast you will need to work on a smoother cast, slow and deliberate beats fast and messy ;)

4. Mackerel

I think the retrieve is fine, I tend to use a nice slow zig zag WTD action, will try going for smoother casts and feathering the lure till it hits the water, I think it is as it hits the water, there is to much slack line around it, hence it getting tangled, will try to keep the line tighter, thanks

5. Banned

Feathering the line will take up the slack and also makes sure the lure lands with its tail away from you, all ready to be walked back to that fat bass

• Winner Winner x 1