Going Old Skool-Metals | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Going Old Skool-Metals

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, May 1, 2011.

1. Striper

Unfortunately for me im starting to wonder why im spending 20quid on a plug. for some reason my mate who has always fished with tobys and c-bars does out fish me alot more than i out fish him. they clearly do catch fish, and as dave says they can cast further and you can work all depths covering alot more water. Definetly worth having some in your lure box! ive bought some 4g tobys for LRF pollock and mackeral. i could cast them pretty far to be fair so looking forward to getting my new LRF rod and trying them out.

2. Salmon

Keir, thing is while you can catch bass with metals, I would be the first to admit that I catch many more BETTER bass on plugs.
    If he is outfishing you surgest quality rather than quantity, then things will be in your favour.

3. Perch

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

Great thread Dave. The Flashmer Yann has been one of the biggest Bass catches in Jersey for many years, Bob & myself have had many large Bass on them over the years, mostly deep jigging from the boat but they also have caught a lot of good fish shore casting. Think they range from 10g to 300g, very popular in France.

5. Perch

I've always got a small selection of silver, copper and a coloured tobys/ toby copies on board usually in 20 or 28g - I've also got a couple of large and small dexter copies with me as well.

I'll often also use them to check a new braid to leader knot or if using an unfamiliar new line just so if I do get a snap off it's only a £2 toby copy thats going out to sea... after a couple of casts i'd generally put on the plug.

First Bass on lures was on a silver toby copy with a mackerel holo sticker...

6. Banned

Had a right balls of a session at the weekend, wind blowing hard and couldn't get the lure more than 20 metres out plus a huge bow in the line. Came home a bit pi**ed off, and all for the sake of leaving a wedge in the back of the van. So take daves advice and leave the metal's in your lure box and save a wasted session.

7. Pollock

Last summer i was realy lucky with a green 21 gram 'Maria viva parade' from my kayak and the shore. Its acounted for bass, macks and pollock.
    I found that if it caught, it was nearly allways on the first drop after hitting the water. All ways have a couple in my bag now.

8. Sea Trout

For me No 1 would be a kilty in 32g size. got a 100 or so of them!
    { still adding numbers off them to the box's!
    No 2 is a 20g kilty again about 100 put away for my old age. LOL

No 3 is Dexter's in both 7g and 10g size. silver for day time and gold for dusk.
    did have a wee spinner years ago cost the grand sum of 99p and it out fished all other lures by many miles. was a copy of a Acma little Cleo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pollock

Great post Dave! I'll be honest, there is a 20g Toby in my lure tray....

10. Striper

To be fair Dave, i was on about quantity but we´ll see what happens this year! Still metals are always worth a chuck at the right time.

11. Pike

Great thread Dave, but it seems like we're getting into the realms of traditional 'spinning' rather than 'modern lure angling' (shock, horror!). Will we be getting rid of the short fast rods and return to the long floppy ones??

I've recently caught a few mackerel on a 28g Stingsilda, which a Norwegian friend recommended for targeting cod. 3 for £12 at Askari. See the recent mackerel thread in the LRF section and the link below.

http://www.solvkroken.no/produkter/slukwobblerspinner/sluk/stingsild-18---75g.aspx

However, they do lose their paint quite easily. I'm not sure if it's the mackerel's teeth or the shingle beach, but I'll be repainting them at some point. Any suggestions for what sort of paint to use?

They look very much like Nordic Herrings to me. Storm (Kiddy) do those in packs of 5 for £5. Bargain!

I haven't had any joy on my other metals, including wedges, Twisties and a Toby, so it's nice to have a variety of different options. I also have a couple of Nabura, which also lose their paint, and at twice the price of the Stingsildas, I'm less inclined to use them where I do most of my fishing. I've lost a couple of Twisties recently by letting them fall too deep and getting snagged on all the line and tackle that the 'normal' anglers leave behind. I also have one of those Kamuy things that I haven't even used yet. I'm waiting to find some deeper water with some bass in it. Cornwall here we come!

Just out of interest, would I get longer distance using metals with a traditional action spinning rod compared to a fast action rod of the same length?

All the best,
    Tones.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. Striper

I had this one early yesterday morning along with garfish, mackeral and pollack, all on a cheapo fladen somethingorother. There's always a couple of metals in my bag.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Striper

Suspect the Kilty woul dprove a popular choice amongst our Irish members. My choice woul be the Maria Chase Viva Parade.

14. Striper

Never had any luck with green but scored with red, blue and silver.

15. Striper

I have just picked up some small metals - twisty's and wedges ... not for traditional spinning but for jigging this weekend for the Bream - something Mike said twigged something off in the back of my mind ...

aiming to do a slow long stroke and keep in touch as the wedge flutters back down - coupled with home made assist hooks :) I was having mackerel off the sand banks on the skerries over the bank hols on the really light gear with this method :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sea Trout

My wife has recently started joing me over the past few weeks, she has a little spinning rod and 3000 sized reel and has had 3 bass in 4 trips all on a Royd minnow metal lure 11g weight

www.roydlures.com (although they do not appear on the site he will send you some if you contact him)

During this time I have been trying with my new softies and a plug I found and not had a touch!!!

17. TLF Super Poster

Dave, always have these with me when out for Seatrout:

Hansen/Spinnex flash and fight
    Gladsax SNAPS
    Falkfish Börting, Böx, Slimline

pics will follow...
    Thomas

PS and I do like these (here at Henrys tackle shop) lost my last whithe one last year fishing for garfish...

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  18. Perch

Yep you can't beat metal lures for that bit of extra distance when needed. My favourite lure is still a 1oz. Toby, apart from the distance you can get it will also take a lot of species - I've caught squid, launce, coalie, flounder, pollock, garfish, mackerel and bass all on Toby lures :)

I have lost too many metal lures though over shallow rocky ground - when you think you can get away with it, and then a loss of concentration ultimately means you get snagged :(

19. Sandeel

Absolute great post!

Most of us oldies grew up on metal, and you generally go with what you are confident with, and if all else fails a Toby or Dexter or even a German Sprat comes out! I still use a whole lot of metal, mostly for pollock. But twice recently, a 28g silver Toby has caught for me next to other anglers using £20 plastic, that has to be worthy of recognition?

I will always have Tobys' in 28g silver and 28g black/gold with stripes! Like I said, It's what you are confident in!

Here are some of my Metals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_MSZ3NjwU

Cheers All

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pollock

I always take a few 28g hustlers with me, I've caught allsorts on them and they will keep you fishing when the weather turns nasty.