Going Old Skool-Metals | Page 3 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Going Old Skool-Metals

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, May 1, 2011.

1. Pike

I love the Shout! Dangan's as mentioned in the opening post - the top two in the pic below are Dangan's - the fish in Oman sure do love these! The bottom two are Iron (Tuna) Candy lures, another hit in the Musandam.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mackerel

Years ago before I started this plugging lark I always used a silver Toby off a sandy beach and did ok with Bass and Pollack.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sandeel

I only started lure fishing this year. I have tried a variety of techniques and lures. The most success I have had has been with metals. They are good to cast, good to catch and cheap to lose.

I have used plugs, lost circa 8 (value circa £60), caught nothing.

I have used soft plastics, lost loads ( value circa £40), caught some.

I have used jelly worms, lost some (low value) caught a few.

I have used metals, lost some (low value) caught a lot.

Metals are pretty much my go to lures, certainly for shore fishing. I rarely use plugs, too expensive, too easy to lose, and too easy to get the hooks wrapped up in the nearest object around, including body parts.

I use the Storm 10g, 20g and 30g toby metals. My main complaint is that the hooks rust easily. However at around £1 a pop I cant complain about that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

Good call, good post Tony. A lot to be said for metals i'm using them more and more.

5. Pike

Yup, I'm of a similar opinion.... and if you combine your metal with an SP presented weedless; rather than a dirty great treble hanging off the back, it adds another dimension and you're less likely to lose it (and kinder on the fish)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wrasse

Just found this very good old thread....I have had great success with a 20g or 28g silver/white (scaled) Toby, and the Halco Twisty. I have the dexter wedges but they sink pretty quick so save those for pure sandy beaches and let them 'puff up' the sand ....can be deadly.
    Don't want to sound dumb but what is the full name/brand of the Kilty...sounds an interesting metal to try out.:???: Where can I see a picture of one or get hold of these? Thanks, Robert.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Pike

I am almost certain the full name is the Kilty Katcher. Our Irish members may be of more help as I bought my only one on a trip to Cork and am fairly sure it's an Irish made metal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snapper

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pike

Cheers Walter! Somehow, when I say it in my head with the Cork accent of the chap who sold it to me, it still seems right with the K!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Striper

Kanny klose though, Phil!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandeel

I have tried the Kilty's and have to say I found the Toby's better or at least on a par. The Kilty's have oversized trebles which I found snagged more easily than the Toby's.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Perch

Change the treb to a single hook. No negative impact at all. Ye cant go wrong for €4.50.

SV201523.JPG SV201517.JPG SV201516.JPG kerry bass 1.JPG bass 9.jpg

13. Blenny Supporting Member

The way the wind is at the moment this thread has just got me planning a visit to the fishing shop to buy a Toby tomorrow. Cheers