The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in the deepest darkest winter, when we were discussing our aims for the season, i think that most of us identified s/p's as an area for development, and this is something that i have been working on recently.

So on Friday evening my plan was to fish s/p's only. Walking to my mark, i passed an old guy with a fishing rod walking the other way. He'd blanked (bait). He looked at my gear, gave me 'the look' and said "going spinning for Bass, yes", i said yes, and asked him what the water clarity was like. He said that it was very murky close-in, which wasnt really the answer i was looking for :???:. He clearly didnt have much confidence in my plan, but i bid him farewell and walked-on.

I arrived at my mark to find that indeed, the water clarity was pants. There was a band of murky water for about 30 to 40yds out, and then it seemed to clear a little. Hmmmmmmm what to do, what to do. Id travelled too far to turn back. So, i abandoned Plan 'A', and clipped-on the Z-Claw. My thinking was to punch a lure out beyond the murk, and to work it just along the clear fringe. I could just reach the clear water, and stuck with that plan for about 15mins.

No joy with Plan 'B' :geek:. So it was time for Plan 'A' again. The water clarity close-in was no more than a few inches, so i went for a paddle-tail s/p with the thought that the vibration may be the key. I continued to fish the s/p for another half an hour or so, covering as much water as possible. Nothing. Then just as high water was approaching, and the light was fading, i was debating which cast would be my last of the evening, the water clarity shifted a little. Not much, but enough to allow maybe a foot of visibility. I dont know why, but this gave me a burst of renewed enthusiasm and confidence !! I bolted-off across the rocks to a gully i'd felt looked good earlier. The light was fading fast now, and i continued to work the s/p, then just as the lure reached the rock, no more than a foot from the shore, everything went tight . . . then 'tug' 'tug' . . . "FISH ON" !!! A short fight ensued, because frankly, the fish was so close in. I got hold of her, moved back from the water, and here she is . . . .

. . . to say that i was chuffed would be an understatement !! It was one of those little moments in fishing where you feel that real progress has been made. Then over my left shoulder, i noticed a light - it was moonrise !! I'm thinking "oh yes"! Two casts later, and with the lure approaching the rocks at my feet (less than 2 foot out), "thump", 'tug' 'tug' . . ."FISH-ON" !!!!

There was very little light remaining now, so i got the fish back from the shore and into a rockpool to take the pic . . . .

Both fish had gone back strongly, and with no light remaining, the tide receding, i decided to head back to the car. Brimming with confidence though, i decided that this was no time to head back inland and to home, so i spent a few restless hours sleeping in the car, and headed back out to hit first light.

I rigged-up my new combo just as the very first hint of first light appeared, and cast into some white water. 2nd cast, and the sensitivity of the Infeet was just incredible as i felt the fish take the lure . . . . the rod arched into the fish, and i had to quickly adjust the drag, as the line was peeling from the reel. I bent into the fish, and got it onto the shore . . . .

. . . at a shade under 3lbs it was a beauty to christen the new combo. The next fish (on the next cast) was a solid 3lb'er . . .

I went on to catch a dozen Pollock, and a couple of these . . . .

The swell had picked-up by mid-morning, and it was getting a little wild. I got absolutley 'creamed' by one particular wave when i made the school-boy error of turning my back to the sea while i unhooked a fish :shock:.

So i headed back off home to get into the comfort of a 'bed' :-D.

16 fish landed across the trip, and not one on a hard lure :mrgreen: !!! Definately progress.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Absolutely cracking report as per usual Simon , some days it just goes to show you need to change methods and stick with that decission , quality bass caught c&r
What a session second day round with the new kit well done , you must have picked up some very good tips from young Luke about the Sps .
Totaly brilliant going .

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
"It was one of those little moments in fishing where you feel that real progress has been made."

Superb stuff Simon. You've cracked it - another SP fan in the making?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Credit where it is due, Si - you made a commitment early this year to crack soft lures and it looks like you are well on the way. Nice pollack - 3lber on the new Infeet must have been a hoot!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Like the report Simon......This SP lark has opend my mind quite a bit since I have started using them...Big thanks to the Jedi SP anglers on the forum for thier advice.....The plugs are playing second fiddle at the moment and I think with the way things are going they will not see the light of day for a while.

Gary

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
great work, gives all us sp novices the inspiration to get out and give it a go as well !!! what depth of water was it close in where the bass were hitting?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've cracked it - another SP fan in the making?
Well if this continues, there'll be one hell'ov'a hard lure collection up for grabs ;).

what depth of water was it close in where the bass were hitting?
Where they were hitting me, it was probably around 1ft deep, then shelving off into water of about 4 -5ft deep.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Looks like you're getting the hang of the SP's Si.......well done mate........Is that our Sunday afternoon mark???

·
Registered
991 Posts
Great report Si, what a session! Lovely pics, nice variety of fish and lovely looking Bass! After using SP's for the first time and landing a Bass on them after your advice last week, I'm def also a big fan these days!! I can't put the lures away though, something about taking a fish on the surface.... Give me a shout if yours end up on the market ;-)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Excellent report and pictures Simon. I really enjoyed reading that. Interesting to see the SP's working out in poor vis.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
great pic's and report si..tell me why is it i don't even pick up a mackie / Pollock or even a mini species on my trips ???? got the gear no idea comes to mind maybe lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts