The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
£9.99 for a lure came the cry about 4 years ago when I first
got into luring.................fast forward to today.........

£22.99 for a lure,so does anyone still use those earlier plugs
to good effect,I know I shall continue to,you remember the one's
chico boco,maria's,sammy' etc.
I will inevitably purchase some of the newer names,but not
untill I've scraped every last paint flake off them....:-D:evil:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Graham,
Not al about the price, lures from £4 upwards in my box, pretty much all ahve caught fish. Be it mackerel,gar,bass or tuna.
Sometimes having the "right" lure, can save the day from a blank or open up whole new areas to fish.
Buy them for what they can do, no point having £25 deep diver if you only fish shallow marks.
Trust me, SLD-F make plugging on a windy (onshore) day a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Use what works, when it works.
If that costs 50p or £50...who cares. I don't.

Personal choice at the days end.

I still like copper spoons, skin lures (pork rinds) and I like top end Jap stuff too.
If you can't afford to loose em, don't use em.

All lures are effective if used correctly with fish present. It's getting the combination right that's fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Know what your saying mate,my best Pollack fell to a 1.99 conrad.Its just that you don't seem to
read about those early lures much.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
All but one of my fish this season have come to a Maria Chase BW. Hardly cutting edge these days and only around a tenner. Good value for me!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Its a funny world for the old lures really, I mean when does a lure become unfashionable to a fish? Over the years I have had my favourites, the lure that is your desert island lure. All these old lures were fantastic, caught loads of fish and still would. So I think it comes down to always looking for the holy grail of lures, the lure that when you buy it you know a place (or situation) that you think this lure, be it 50p or £25, will do the job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Still got some lures in my box that I bought when I was about 12yrs old. So that makes um old old very old and guess wot they still work!!!

Funny thing is most of them are tiny the smallest is a jointed lure only one&half inches long. Bugger to cast though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes Japan was the China of today, mind China is on the up. Remember my first spinning rod as a kid on hol's was a woolie's special. 4' solid glass with a couple of mackie spinners. Had some fun with it tho.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Still have the old Rapla's in my box...J13....SLIVER..etc as Keith says it's using them in the right conditions.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Still got my box of winfield plugs, with made in Japan written on the box!! Things from Japan were cheap back then.
Wasn't Winfield the name for Woolworths in the 70s ish ? I'm sure I used to have some red and white bubble floats that were branded 'Winfield'.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Lots of the old lures still work for me (redgills, tobys, dexters wedge, eddystone eels etc) but i only use them from the boat now as the newer lures cast that much better when rock or shore fishing.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Stick your old lures you old-timers !!! My biggest Bass was caught on a brand spanking new Jap lure !!!! :lol:

:spoo:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts