The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In and between some stormy SW winds, a night of prolonged rain, good spells of sunshine and some showers, I spent a few days this week down in South Devon carrying on from where I left my fishing last time. Living in Bristol means no chance of just popping out for a quick session so I take a tent, get up early and eat lots of soup. The wind and big tides brought a big swell, loads of crashing waves and a fair few bass for my trouble. I fished two marks and had plenty of Pollack too, but it was the Bass I landed at different states of the tide and times of day that taught me loads this time around. A few early morning on a Sayori Shad on a rising tide, another good size Bass late afternoon an hour or so into the flood on an Xlayer, another strong fish an hour before high water late morning, this time in shallower water with a Sayori Shad, and the most memorable was in about 5ft of water on a Komono 2, in the sunshine, that measured 51cm. Fished the rougher weather using SP's rigged weedless with cone weights, casting straight into the wind and the 2nd mark with plugs as well, with the wind nearly behind me. Returned them all and looking forward to next time. Some pics of the best ones and marks…

bass4.jpg mark2-high.jpg bass1.jpg bass3.jpg mark1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Great report and pictures Martin well done. things seem to have picked up again after that storm of last Thursday. Hoping to get 1 or 2 myself tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Martin and a great effort :-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Martin! Some perfect looking marks and fish there!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good work and top marks for commitment, Martin. Some nice bass there in pretty rough weather. Braver than me to be in a tent last week!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishing Thursday late afternoon and eve was not an option as you can see here! Was wondering though if anyone has had good results with Xlayers at night or in very low light? The daylight hours were the most productive for me and it went very quiet from near sunset to an hour or so afterwards, when i called it a day. Don't really know what to use in such low light but just kept plugging away with very shallow divers.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, thanks for the encouragement. The input and info from everyone on this forum has certainly brought a positive change in terms of success rate and made the obsession even more enjoyable! :-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Fishing Thursday late afternoon and eve was not an option as you can see here! Was wondering though if anyone has had good results with Xlayers at night or in very low light? The daylight hours were the most productive for me and it went very quiet from near sunset to an hour or so afterwards, when i called it a day. Don't really know what to use in such low light but just kept plugging away with very shallow divers.
They do definitely work after dark Martin! I've actually had most of my fish after dark this year - and mostly on XLayers! I wrote here about how I fish them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ben, that thread was really useful and the techniques you described were spot on. I read it before i had these few days away and it really did help me in catching a few on Xlayers, so nice one. I wasn't sure about using in the dark though but will certainly give it a go now...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts