The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there can anybody advise me on a good quality rod which I could use for sea spinning and occasional spinning for salmon?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah, it might depend a bit on your budget snorkers. What are you thinking of spending?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably under £100, I can't quite justify spending much more as I don't get the chance to go as often as I like.

I looked at travel rods, but they seem less strong? I also looked at fenwick, but soon realised that would likely be an import job

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Good plugging rods under £100,
Savage Gear Bushwhacker (now two versions available) both 8'6", Quantum Energy Bass 8' or 9', both are good rods, decent value for money.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Are Hiro available in this country any more or is it just old stock still hanging round? I heard there is a shop in Devon or Cornwall that are distributing this but they are giving it up, I dont know if its true or not though?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This is where it's be useful if somebody had had a proper go with the Sonik rods. Think they are designed first off as salmon/freshwater spinning rods, but probably make great saltwater rods too. Difficult to tell at the mo. Inside your budget though.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Are Hiro available in this country any more or is it just old stock still hanging round? I heard there is a shop in Devon or Cornwall that are distributing this but they are giving it up, I dont know if its true or not though?

My local tackle shop is able to get their kit.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
My local tackle shop is able to get their kit.
Thats interesting Si cheers. Things afoot in the company thats why I ask.

On the subject of Hiro do you guys think if their gear was pushed a bit better there could be a place for it in the UK? Or should we be trying to gety our more home brand up to scrath? Is their beach gear rated?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information everyone! I'm just trying to work out whether a 8'6" would be able to cope with most situations i.e off the beach into surf and strong enough for working rocky areas

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Thats interesting Si cheers. Things afoot in the company thats why I ask.

On the subject of Hiro do you guys think if their gear was pushed a bit better there could be a place for it in the UK? Or should we be trying to gety our more home brand up to scrath? Is their beach gear rated?
I've never used their beach gear, but a few of my mates use it, and really rate some of their rods - only negative is that some of the rods look a little 'bling' and are not cheap - they are up against some well known safer looking bets at times (Greys, Century, Daiwa, etc . . . .). I had my eye on one of their long-rods with a quiver-tip - very well suited to match fishing.

As for the lure rods, i loved my Bass Fighter, and it's currently with the local rod-builder to see if he can salvage it following 'boot-gate' !! There's also another Hiro lure rod in my local shop that has a lovey action on it - i always give it a waggle whenever i'm in there. I think it's retailing for just over £100, and is a lovely light piece of kit. In fact, it's probably the only rod in there that comes close to being suitable for what we're doing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a Daiwa Exceler which I use for all of my bass fishing it is 10ft and it seems to work the lures well. When I bought this rod the guy in the shop said it was a salmon rod so this could be the rod you are after. I think i paid somewhere between £75 and £100 for it. I have never used any purpose built bass rods like the tenryu's etc. so dont know how they compare but to me it feels nice when working the lures. There is a link below to give you more info on it hope this helps.

http://www.grahamsonline.co.uk/product.php?ID=2493

Tried to get you the link off the daiwa website but it isn't on any more so they may have stopped making them.
You may find them cheaper than in the link if you shop about too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Daiwa Exceler which I use for all of my bass fishing it is 10ft and it seems to work the lures well. When I bought this rod the guy in the shop said it was a salmon rod so this could be the rod you are after. I think i paid somewhere between £75 and £100 for it. I have never used any purpose built bass rods like the tenryu's etc. so dont know how they compare but to me it feels nice when working the lures. There is a link below to give you more info on it hope this helps.

http://www.grahamsonline.co.uk/product.php?ID=2493

Tried to get you the link off the daiwa website but it isn't on any more so they may have stopped making them.
You may find them cheaper than in the link if you shop about too.
Nice one mate! I like the unconditional lifetime warranty on it, that would probs sway it for me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.