The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, another trip to the pier last night from 20:45- 12:45. When I arrived there were already 4 locals and a couple of Polish guys fishing (all on bait), so I quietly set up my ulx and a 2gm carolina. First cast, it was obvious a little more weight was necessary due to the current. I left the 2gm shot on and tied on a cut down tiny xlayer on a small jighead. Next cast, fish on, a pollock about 1.5 lbs which fell off as I lifted it. After that, I kept trying all different sps and jigheads, but the fish had disappeared. I wondered if any Ika's had come on the scene, and a short while later I saw one about 5' below the surface. I was the only one to spot it and I'm sure it was a cuttle!
I set up my quantum as well with a gulp sandeel on a 10gm jighead to leave out between casting the ulx. As my Xlayer was near the wall from the retrieve I looked down and there was a large fish just passing it about 4' down. I couldn't be sure what it was, but with the waters magnification It looked like a very healthy bass. It turned and had a look at my lure, but wouldn't take, then it hit the surface and it turned out to be the biggest garfish I think I've ever seen.
The locals and the Poles left about an hour after high (why!) and I was left with a Portuguese chap who'd turned up. Now we had the pier to ourselves. Within minutes of the others leaving, and giving their left over worms to the other chap. he had a pollock of about 1.5lb. I joined him on the sea facing side and cast my gulp sandeel out and brought it back on a steady retrieve and bang, pollock about 1.75lb. This was followed by 3 more in the next half hour using the same tactics. (sp's 4- bait 1). The fishing then died off nearly as quickly as it had begun, all on the dropping tide about 2.5 hours after low. I stayed on for a short while after the Portuguese man had left (he thought I was nuts as tou could clearly make out the bottom of the sea bed), but I still managed one more take on the infamous pink trout bait.

·
Registered
498 Posts
nice report gary, thats my local pier and know the portugese bloke, well he's always up there, all weathers, he's sound but doesnt speak a word of english, might give it a go up there tonight now the winds dropped

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice report gary, thats my local pier and know the portugese bloke, well he's always up there, all weathers, he's sound but doesnt speak a word of english, might give it a go up there tonight now the winds dropped
Yeah, He's sound, I've known him for years when I've been there mackie bashing. As you say, he doesn't speak any English, but he raced over to see what I had caught the first one on. He looked bewildered to see the imitation sandeel on a small jighead. I'll probably go down for a couple of hours tonight from about 9pm (back to work tommorow:-( )

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nice one Gary cheers for the report, CUTTLE sounding good mate! hopefully spot you on a pier soon im missing LRF due to all the HRF at the moment lol

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
yeah and most get spent on eating sleeping and working such a shame these are all necessary factors in life lol see ya soon mate

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, sorry no photos. I took some crackers, probably prize winning photos lol, only to discover this morning I didn't have the memory card in the camera Doh!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great report Gary. Gorey has big promise doesn't it.
Went again last night from 21:15-23:30, I was the only one to catch and managed 5 more pollock, 2 of them on the ULX and they went really well. The sea was flat calm, and the fish arrived much closer to high water this time.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Went again last night from 21:15-23:30, I was the only one to catch and managed 5 more pollock, 2 of them on the ULX and they went really well. The sea was flat calm, and the fish arrived much closer to high water this time.
Awesome Gary. I'm handicapping you for next weekend. Your Pollack all count as half a fish LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey nice one Gary
What SP 's were you using and weight/rig etc

Just got myself a Black Bull HC 1-12g 2.1Mcombining it with a 2500 Technium, (thanks Ben) Just waiting for the sp's to come through from **** and Ill be away ( hopefully) giving it a go this week.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey nice one Gary
What SP 's were you using and weight/rig etc

Just got myself a Black Bull HC 1-12g 2.1Mcombining it with a 2500 Technium, (thanks Ben) Just waiting for the sp's to come through from **** and Ill be away ( hopefully) giving it a go this week.
Hi Paul, I caught on a 2gm carolia rig, about 18" 5lb fluro, size 8 carp hook, both fish on the ulx fell to a cut down tiny xlayer (about 40mm worth). I also had bites and lost a couple of fish on the pink trout bait.

The other 3 were on my quantum 240, 10gm jighead with a 5"gulp sandeel (Sapphire shiner) cast in, allowed to drop near bottom (I think their down there because of the water clarity) and reeled back slow to medium pace (no twitches)

Hope this helps

Gary

I'm sure you'll like your blackbull, should be great fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Paul, I caught on a 2gm carolia rig, about 18" 5lb fluro, size 8 carp hook, both fish on the ulx fell to a cut down tiny xlayer (about 40mm worth). I also had bites and lost a couple of fish on the pink trout bait.

The other 3 were on my quantum 240, 10gm jighead with a 5"gulp sandeel (Sapphire shiner) cast in, allowed to drop near bottom (I think their down there because of the water clarity) and reeled back slow to medium pace (no twitches)

Hope this helps

Gary

I'm sure you'll like your blackbull, should be great fun.
Thanks mate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts