The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back from fishing Grafham in the last few hours or so and haven’t had a chance to download the pictures yet, but I’m far, far too excited to wait with the story.

The morning started quite strangely as dense fog (25 yards visibility maximum) had the bailiffs deliberating seriously if they were to allow the boats out at all. Luckily, they decided to allow us out and then the fun started as the fog was so dense you literary had no idea where you were going, and finding the best fishing spots was like the preverbal needle in the haystack.

In the end we managed to find one of the better areas but finding the productive spots within the area was next to impossible as the visibility was now even worse. We struggled for a long time but after moving around a bit using the fish finder to look for depth variations, drop-offs and any bait balls we found the spot I was looking for. I set us up for a slow drift over the area and sure enough within 2-3 minutes it was fish on, and after a spirited and typical zander fight I had secured my biggest fish of the season, weighing in at 10Ib 5oz.

Now, during daytime zander tend to shoal up and if you can find yourself back to the same spot there is more than a good chance of catching another one. Unfortunately, visibility was still no more than twenty odd yards so finding back to the productive spot could be classified as a lottery, at best. After fishing a few different spots for the next hour or so I could suddenly see on the finder that we were moving over something that looked ominously like the spot that produced the first fish. I told my friend and boat partner to prepare for a potential bite and I had barely opened my mouth before the second fish of the day was on.

Again there was no doubt that this was a zander and it was equally clear to me that this could be a considerable bigger fish than my first. After a heart-stopping fight where the fish made several typical heavy zander runs I managed to get it close to the surface, but now it suddenly decided to swim under the boat, and I found myself on one side and the fish on the other. Now, with the light lines one uses for zander jigging (10Ib YGK braid) there was absolutely no way I was going to risk a break due to the line scrubbing against the boat hull so there was only one thing to do. I plummeted the rod tip as deep as I possibly could under surface, allowing me to drag the line under the keel and around the outboard.

Within 20 seconds of ending up on the same side as the fish I could see it in surface and my strong belief that this was a very big fish was indeed confirmed. My friend and boat partner slipped the landing net under it, and the fish was secured.

So what was the verdict? It was an incredible 14Ib 13oz, and my biggest zander in this country and only 2.5Ib under my PB caught in Norway some 15 years ago.

I hope you guys believe me when I say I’m a bit chuffed???

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Respect Vidar, that is some serious fish :clap: Great report, get the pics up soon :p

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Great effort Vidar. Having spent a couple of days scouring that water with you I have a bit of an idea how tough it is. Superb result!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Top fishing Vidar, many congratulations on a (pair of) superb fish!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Vidar,
TWO DOUBLE ZEE's ON LURE in ONE DAY, Not sure how many of the members will realise just what a special day you have had.
Brilliant stuff really chuffed for you, Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Very impressive!!!! Well done and get the pics up soon.
Perhaps Andy and I would have been better fishing blindfold......

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are the pictures...... :) :) :)

10lb 5oz

14lb 13oz

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Awesome photos Vidar. Love the foggy background. Eery like the look of those fish. They are both lovely fish but that second one is a hell of a fish!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Great photos Vidar, Just look at the tails on those two fish.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Super fishing. They look like real bruiser type fish. How do they compare to species some of us salties can compare to? Is this like catching 2 double bass in a day? Sorry to sound stupid but I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Awesome Vidar. Two cracking fish in crazy conditions. Bravo.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Absolutely awesome Vidar :clap: :clap:. Congratulations on a stunning brace of Z's !!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Pics were well worth waiting for Vidar, stunning fish :p

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have only ever manged to bag one zander in my life htough looking at these fantastic fish i have a feeling i may have another crack sooner rather than later.
Superb effort there Vidar, and congrats on stunning fish mate.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Brilliant Vidar!!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts