The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt wanna hijack mikes LRF thread but the mention of Grasdos and then cooking them got me thinking and Paul B mentioning the Net/JIB :

I grew up on states farm in Trinity and spent a lot of my yoof down bouley bay as my Dad had small boat there and was great fishing.

Winter nights a old Jersey boy called Cyril used to roll up in his van with a big square Grasdos drop net with scaffold jib, set it up on the railing , tie on his Shirvy Bag (big onion/bulb bag) and drop it down next to the net , chuck a bit of shirvy in the net and lower it down , shake the shirvy bag and wait , soon there was hundreds of Grasdo's swiming round the net , quick pull on the net rope and lift it up out the water full of nice shiny Grasdos , tip them into a bucket and drop again and again - never seen so may caught.

My Dad made up a rig and we did it for a few yrs , dont know what happened to it but last year me and a m8 talked about making one but never got round to it - wish I could remeber the Jib set up!

I remeber Cyril used to go rabbiting at the weekends and skin the rabbits down Bouley - rabbit guts where a big part of the Shirvy

I was down Bouley one night last year and the end of the pier was bubbling with thousands of Grasdo's

mnhh fried chrunchy Grasdos ;-)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have a rectangular drop net somewhere that I have used to 'harvest' Grasdos. I just went down outside the Fresh Fish Unit, grabbed a couple of cooked crab bodies out of the bins (they have already been picked), crushed it up into little pieces and drop it down into the net which I have tied off on the railings. If you have the net about 18 inches below the surface, you can get them feeding above it, then a quick pull up and you can get 20-30+ Grasdos in one haul. Use as liveb**t, or eat them if you're that way inclined (I couldnt stand them!).

Much more fun LRFing for them though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts