The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

i've dunked my exage 3000 rb a few times over the last yr and on hol in devon last week left it in the back of the camper and didn't wash it out. it's got a bit graunchy and knocks a bit reeling in...

i've dosed it in wd 40 and that helped a little until I dropped it in the sea changing lures again last night at kimmeridge...

it was only by my feet but got wet again. it's been rinsed and dried in the house and i'll bathe it in oil or something..

will a front drag reel be easier/ better/ more durable with salt water?

I sort of fancy Ci4 rarenium in a 3000 but don't want to shell out 150 bigones for something i might drop and get wet from time to time thats going to get graunchy like the exage.

will the rarenium be any more durable? also quite liking the look of the cormoran black star but if that gets wrecked where would you send it to get serviced. i'm under the impression that i could send a shimano to swansea and they'd service it cheaply.

i've got a teklon 802.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Richard, I would bin the Exage, only my view of course but I have seen alot of people waste alot of time on rear drag Shimanos, once they are rough it takes quite alot of time and money to get them smooth again, and Felindre dont like wasting time on them either. Front drag are the easiest to work on, and to maintain. The jury is still out on the Rareniums, I have one so if it lasts me more than a season its a good reel. As it goes for Cormorans, they are one of the best companies for sorting problems out, if you dont take the pi*s they will just replace the reel, but no company will replace one thats been dunked. As it goes for spare parts from Cormoran....well I havnt had to use them really, but I will enquire for future reference.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do people manage not to drop them in the water when wading etc - last decent bass i caught i got so excited i didn't even think about where I put the rod down......

the technium seems to get good press apart from the ale arm issue - is it really a problem on them?

A

·
0 Posts
are there any online resources for servicing your own reels? With the average employee at most tackle shops, I am guessing this extends to distributors and manufacturers its probably better to DIY or get the dog to do it :evil:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
My technium hates a dunkin.Its got to a point that i carry another reel just incase.The other reel is the soron and im close on using the technium as back up and buying another soron.cheers daz

·
Registered
645 Posts
the technium seems to get good press apart from the ale arm issue - is it really a problem on them?
I bought one a month ago and it has cost me four lures (£80) so far...not happy, if I keep it for the season I would have been better off buying a stella, look out for it on e-bay very soon

ps can anyone receommend a £150 4000 sized reel where the bale arm does not close

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
mike,for under a hundred quid think about the soron.its like a little tank.Its over built for its price and i call that a bargain.Its a small 4000 size with two spools,shallow and deep.Load it with low diam braid and youl love it.I dont use it on a rod longer than 8ft but 8ft 6 at a push.That leaves you with 50 quid in your back pocket to buy back the lures youve lost,cheers daz

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm sort of thinking cormoran now - payday awaits....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts