The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a memorable session at Graysands yesterday. The weather and water conditions were perfect and small baitfish could be seen along the margins so i figured the bass should be quite active and hopefully feeding. I was also confident my natural looking green and silver zonk would bring a response but after a couple of hours passed without any action i was starting to think that it was going to be one of those days were everything looks great but the fish just dont wont to play ball. I was trying a couple of different lures and generally looking around me searching for some form of inspiration when i noticed some small fish jumping down to my left, i looked at the area more closely and could actually make out quite a large shoal of baitfish jumping in the distance. This was a great chance and i could feel my adrenaline starting to pump as i scurried over the rocks in a bid to get within casting range of what was obviously a feeding frenzy. As i got closer to the area i started to see larger splashes and boils amongst the small fish, i decided to stay with the green and silver zonk i had clipped on at the time as in my opinion it is a superb baitfish copy. I reached the spot and cast into the commotion, I was absolutely buzzing, feeding activity like this iv only ever witnessed when fishing over in Jersey, not down my local estuary. The experience was made even better when on my second cast i bent into a fish, after a lively scrap in the deep water i quickly beached a nice chunky little bass of about two and a half three pounds. Quickly unhook photo release, i want to get back out there because i can still hear splashing fish around me. I think i made one more cast then the activity just stopped and i was left there looking around me wondering what the hell had just happened. Its moments and memorys like this that make me go fishing again and again.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice bass Toby,
and a great photo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well done Toby

There is loads of activity in the estuary at the moment and looks like you were in the right place at the right time and more importantly within range of the feed.
Had seven bass the other day in about 20 minutes when I was in the middle of a frenzy. Strange feeling isn't it and then they move on.
Things are picking up again after a quiet week or two with just the odd fish here and there in general.
Well done, the bigger ones will be here in numbers hopefully in the next 4-8 weeks. Can't beleive we haven't crossed paths yet!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice one Toby. There seems to of been an improvement over the last week.
Have avoided Graysands since they started locking the gates overnight, I tend to try & fish at dawn, so the 7am opening has been a bit late, but with the days getting shorter I'll maybe get down there soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good effort guys! It sounds like things are getting better around here... I saw a feeding frenzy in the estuary a day or two ago when I was walking my dog, the gulls were going crazy on the surface, loads of them too. Im gona try and get out on saturday to have a go at em with my new plastic!

Cheers

Dave B

·
Registered
150 Posts
nice fish toby
it looks like are path's could cross again but theres no lilly pads at greysands

1 - 6 of 6 Posts