The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have'nt posted for a while as i've been on holiday and have just been fishing so much I pass out as soon as I get home. I have been from pain to pleasure over the last three weeks.
Three weeks ago the family and I( two young sons and the wife) decided to go camping for 10 days or so, and I managed to persuade her to go to Treyarnon bay N. Cornwall. Was really excited about this as have caught bass in the area and surfed there before. Thing was the weather transpired to ruin all chances of catching a bass and generally have a good time. The swell never dropped below 6ft and was accompanied by howling S.W winds and rain. I managed a couple of follows and a stonking wrasse at a more sheltered N. facing reef but no shirleys landed.
We aborted the holiday the following tuesday after taking down a soaking wet tent and were back home (S.coast) by 5pm. By 7.30 I was on my fav local mark and had my PB laying at my feet. 5lb bang on and 66cms on Duo SLD flyer red/gold./
The next day took some local advice from a fellow plugger and fished a mark I knew of but had never plugged and ended up with 4 bass to 3.5lb 3 of which came out of a white aereated gulley just below my rod tip all on the giant xlayer ayu with a 7gm jig head.
Then my parents came to stay just round the corner from my house for the week and this usually spells doom for bass fishing as for 2 year I have tried my best to get both my father and brother onto some bass. They have the gear and arent total novices so it has been v. frustrating to not get them into some fish but it was soon to change.
A few days into their stay the weather turned out great blue sky and baking hot and I knew just the spot. Shallow reef bladder wrack weed and fish pools and gullies that have been studied by myself and sean in great detail over the last 3 months or so. We got there at low and fished the tide up but my brother was the first to connect, to a 3lb beauty on the ghost patchinko2 sean and I were howling with joy at my bro for breaking his duck. The tide pushed up and it was getting close to the "hot" time where a particular clump of weed just gets covered by the tide and the fish move in from behind from afish pool where you can see them fins out moving into the weed to ambush passing bait fish. At this point the mullet came in en masse and we knew the bass were with em. We used sluggos texposed and giant xlayers texposed on violence jig heads ( which in my opinion are the bomb!!) and we started getting hits between the 3 of us we had 7 bass none below 2lb and up to 3.5lb. This was real fishing and we were reeling from the days sport that eve and the next day. We returned the next day and conditions were exactly the same. Got into positions for the "hot" time and blam Took a 4lb fish on giant xlayer ayu and shortly followed by a 5.5lb fish at 68cms. Could not belive the action we were getting and had smashed my personal best twice in one week.
Since then that spot has cooled off as we have had more cloudy conditions but last night my brother scored again from a mark in a local tidal river that is full of mullet on the surface with bass patrolling below them. 2.5lb taken on saltiga minnow laser sardine.
Thats it for now but more to follow.
Will post some pics to back this up soon but the day I had my 5.5lb fish I soaked my iphone with seawater and it has fully died, feels like I have had my right hand severed! Guess it was Karma for getting into so many great fish?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Luke!!!! Very good work mate!! Sounds some week. Shame about the weather when you were up this way. Nice to land a couple of PB's!!! :D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I can remember the conditions so can't blame you to be honest. One place I would like to fish in a big swell though would be the deeper, sheltered pool on the very left of where I last saw you. Would need a proper spring low as well though to enable at least a bit of safety. I reckon it could be reeeeally good though with some whitewater making it in to there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Excellent report and well done on your PB. It's really useful to hear good descriptive stuff like this. Look forward to seeing some pics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Smashing mate brilliant fishing looking forward to the photos :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great stuff Luke and a cracking report, well done :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts