The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out this morning on only my fourth fishing trip out this year, work commitments have just taken over so I was just glad to be out in the sea air again. I've recently been buying some new toy's which I've been wanting to try out for some time;

Rod – Lucky Craft ESG II
Reel – Daiwa Coastal 3000
Braid – Daiwa Samurai 20lb

I got to my first mark in Aberaeron at sunrise about 2 hours after low tide and spent the next three hours running through various lures to see how they felt with the new kit. I have to say I'm chuffed to bits the feedback through the braid and the rod is just incredible it was as though I'd taken some big thick woolly gloves off compared to what I had before. The balance of the rod with the Daiwa Coastol on it is just about perfect, I met up with Simon Lewis a while back and tried his Rarenium 4000 on the rod a lovely real but just felt too light for a good balance so did a bit of homework and opted to try the Daiwa Coastal which is slightly heavier than the Rarenium and with a stunning spec for the money.

So back to the fishing had one big hit on a Chartreuse Patchinco but didn't connect I don't think it was a particularly big fish but that was all I had after 3 hours. Everything else looked perfect water clarity was good and a bit of a chop. So I decided to head North to Aberystwyth and fish at the bottom of Constitution Hill and got there bang on high water to fish the drop. After about 15 minutes this little chap decided to join the party, not the specimen lunker I had envisaged but a very welcome site.

43198270a31999ee024c0878e89ab6c5672035325f397a0cf2a631f4aa2f431d5183090d.jpg
A few minutes after got hit again when his identical twin put in an appearance and then finally a third all the same size so no pictures as I feel its better to unhook small fish like this without lifting them from the water. So to sum up 3 small fish caught, I'm chuffed to bits with my new kit and I haven't felt this relaxed in Months – a quality session.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report John, glad the new kit felt good and to have 3 fish with it on it's first outing, super stuff :-D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
John, fantastic news and great fishing! Sounds like the new kit will make fishing a real pleasure for the rest of the season. We'll have to get out together soon...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
A good christening for the new gear John!
I'll be in the Aberystwyth area middle of next week, I'll be on the lookout for Constitution Hill.....:-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Tim
No problem as my spinning gear has never touched water. Although i've done loads of bait fishing , I have never done any spinning.
Just name the place and the time and i'll be there.
Looking forward to it already.

colin

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tim/Colin,
if you fancy meeting up for a sneaky late afternoon/evening bumble let me know which day suits you best and I'll see if I can get some cover at work. The afternoon tides look pretty good, not sure what the longer term forcast is yet though. Drop me a PM and we can sort out the details.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi Tim/Colin,
if you fancy meeting up for a sneaky late afternoon/evening bumble let me know which day suits you best and I'll see if I can get some cover at work. The afternoon tides look pretty good, not sure what the longer term forcast is yet though. Drop me a PM and we can sort out the details.
Sent you PM John.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi John
Thanks for the invitation , I'll defo take you up on that. I've been pm'ing tim during the day and will call him tomorrow. It would really be great.
again thanks

colin

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Colin, I've just droped Tim a note to see which day he prefers. I will drop you a pm with contact details etc as things firm up. The 4th and 5th dont offer the best of tides but nothing ventured and all that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one John!

Interested to hear your thoughts on the braid. Any good?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ben, I've only had the one outing using the Daiwa Samurai braid but first impresions are very good. The best way I think I can describe it is that its like PowerPro but thiner and smoother, I like the fact that its a lot stiffer than similar braids and this just gives me a bit more confidence. I think a combination of the braid and the new rod provided a lot more feedback from the lures I tried out which was a bit of a revelation after my previous kit. At £15.70 for 150 yds its looking like a true bargin as well.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one John. Nice setup you've got there actually! I thought to start with that perhaps the Samurai was in fact the American version of the Tournament 8 strand, but it doesnt seem it is - looking around, and from your thoughts. Tis looking very good value though! Smurai isn't actually marketed here (I don't think), but it seems Monster Tackle (assuming you got it from them?) have got a few bits from the States? The Coastal reel is another one I wish we had here :-(

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ben, I’m pretty sure the braid is being imported from USA . I owe Tom at Monster Tackle an email so I’ll ask him if he has any further info on it. Given my first impressions I will probably order another spool while it’s at this price as the pricing on American websites appears to be much higher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts