The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just invested in a new pair of waders/boots and the boots come with felt soles. All my previous waders have had rubber soles with studs and have performed very well. For slippy, weedy rocks (sea) and grassy banks (river) would it be best to attach studs or not? I've got some of the Simms screw-in studs but not sure whether i should use them or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I've never had felt soles (only had one pair of wading boots lol) but from what I read up on before I bought my boots, felt soles & slippy weed & felt+grass, like Darren said, do not mix. Felt on rock/sand/gravel perhaps. However I have wondered about the durability of felt soles if you're walking over rocks/concrete etc to get to marks - do they last?? Dunno, perhaps someone can tell me.

If I did have felt soles I'd defo be putting studs in them for the places I fish. Wouldn't it also help with any durability issues as well?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have felt soles and have found them really good. Superb on those wet black rocks which nothing grips, they are brilliant on that kind of smooth wet rock. not so good on wet grass, but I do my fishing off a beach and rocks, not grass so i'm ok.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Definitely use the Simms studs, I have them in my Simms rivershed's and wouldn't be without them.

I was a tad sceptical at first but they do make a difference, great at gripping on rocks to while climbing about. I thought the metal studs on the rocks would cause more problems but those Simms ones are Tungsten tipped (or something like that) and they really bite on rock.

Use them!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Felt all the way for me, like Andy....I fish from rocks and not playing fields! I fish every week with someone who changes between studs and plain felt and I know which one he prefers! There is nothing better on wet rock and as for heavy kelp, nothing works! Studs make a huge noise when hopping around on dry rock......imagine the noise the fish hear when clumping around below water.......or is that sound similar to a very large xlayer rattle ;)

There is no perfect sole, but for me its felt unless I'm rock hopping with no chance of getting wet.....then it would be 5.10 soles :D

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have found that felt soles with lots and lots of studs is the best way to go especially when rockhopping etc.
When you invest in Simms wading boots their is a pattern that they use for spacing the studs,I do this and then add some more of the standard studs that Sportfish sell.
I have found that the Simms dedicated 'hardbite' studs (megabucks) will start to corrode almost instantly but the cheaper ones (alloy) dont corrode etc,I just overload the soles with studs especially right on the front of the boots near the tips of your toes as this helps me with climbing etc.
You will have to be VERY carefull if you walk on smooth concrete when you have studs on,its like walking on ICE and very dangerous as I have found to my cost.........

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have used the snowbee and simms (much better but much more expensive) studs and both have threads about 1/2" long. I think most felts are that depth and the tread on most rubber soles too. The instructions on the snowbee ones say not to put the studs in the centre of the sole but to put them all around the edgs of the sole and heel.

I tried my new ones last night on a slime/weed coated 45 degree sloping concrete ramp and the grip was excellent, much better than my studded rubber soles. Fishing was good too, virutally a fish a cast with pollack, mackeral, scad and bass all very obliging.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have felt soles and have found them really good. Superb on those wet black rocks which nothing grips, they are brilliant on that kind of smooth wet rock. not so good on wet grass, but I do my fishing off a beach and rocks, not grass so i'm ok.

Found the same as you Andy,would'nt go wading without felt soles now.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Found the same as you Andy,would'nt go wading without felt soles now.
Steve I know you have been trying to find a pair of felt soled normal hiking boots. I have been looking and cant find any so far, but did come across these;

And another thing I found was this link, I know we are mainly fishing in the sea but worth noting, and remembering when going away to these countries with our felt soles!

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/green/article/felt-soled-boots-bad-for-rivers/

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just got some guidline boots and they are sound , rubber soled and grip well so far , if I find they are slippy on some surfaces , I will put a few studs in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts