The Lure Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has/does this forum operate any kind of group buys, from retailers on this forum and elsewhere?

Other forums I have been involved in (mainly car forums) have run group buys. Usually a product is identified that several forum members would like, interested numbers are gathered over a month or so, retailer approached or offers a deal to the forum members. Things like 5 people 5% off, 10 people 10% off, 20 people 15% etc...

Can be expensive items, or low cost, just so there is a guaranteed number, so the retailer can buy in bulk and so able to offer a discount that makes the deal work for all parties.

Hopefully as a relative newcomer to the forum this suggestion is not treading on any toes.

EDIT: Meant to post this in site suggestion.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
It's been brought-up many times in the past Paul. Quite simply, it just needs someone to go ahead & do it. Knock yourself out ;).

Additional info: Post moved ;).

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
...and maybe **** and Ben are jumping on the train then and be of help at organizing the bulkbuy...

Cheers
Thomas

To be honest Doc, i think that's exactly where it's fallen-down in the past. If guys on here want it to happen, they'll have to just get on & do it. Ben & **** are busy running their own businesses, and we cant assume that they will do this for the guys on here also.

As a very wise man once told me . . . . . . . . .

"If it's to be, it's up to me"

So if any of you feel strongly about wanting this to happen . . . . . . . . then go ahead & make it happen ;).

·
Banned
792 Posts
Simon, what I meant was just:

one here opens a thread for a group buy, collects the cash, orders the tackle at ***** or Bens shop gets the tackle and ships it around to the ones that paid for it. Did not want **** or Ben to organize that!
But I think they would be glad to been asked if or if not such a deal would be of interest for them and to what conditions!

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Groups buys have been useful on a couple of other forums that I have belonged to in the past, but it really depends on what people are thinking of buying. I would assume that lures might be what people have in mind, in which case I am not sure that there are going to be many deals out there. Bare in mind that within europe many of the lures are supplied through companies like Ultimate Fishing or Sakura, which which means by the time our retailers get them. There really isn't that much mark up left. Which gives them little room to offer a group/bulk deal-unless the quantity is large enough to make worth approaching the importers.
The other side of the fence, ie getting them from Asia, would be subject to shipping cost, duty and handling fees-which would in my experience mean that you will end up paying the same price as they are available for here in the UK. But waiting a great deal longer to receive them.

The only area where I see this might be a viable option is for products that are unavailable in the UK, and that the people involved would be happy to pay a premium to be able to get. Eg hard or soft lures unavailable in the uk. Small and or lightweight items would be easiest.
I think those interested should have a think and do the maths, and then decide if there is anything of interest. If big deals don't happen, I guess there is nothing stopping a smaller group of members sorting something out amoungst themselves.

Reactions: Dr.Thomas k

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
The group buy discussion has come up before and if someone is willing to organise then go ahead, to be aware though most of the advertising retailers already offer discounts to forum members via the forums privilege scheme. 100+ posts and there's your discount. (Of course this is for the benefit of those unaware) Hard to get items or whatever could be a different matter altogether but this would need to be investigated by whoever wishes to get involved.

Goes without saying though, the forum will not be involved financially nor responsible for any agreements members make between themselves. But always a good idea for those wishing to take part in such an arrangement.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Had the same experiences on Disco3 forum and saved members a lot of money. Great idea just needs some one to take it on as previously stated....and don't forget that there should always be a donation to the Forum from the group for using the site to advertise and organise with other members. Even after all that if the right objects are chosen and there are enough members there can be substantial savings to be made......:-D:-D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ironic I should find this thread....

Recently, there have been a few products that I have found abroad, that people (from here and elsewhwere) that I have approached with regards to importing the stuff, have, for one reason or another, been unable to help me (and I believe a lot of others) out.

So, depending how next year goes, I may well be doing this very thing with certain products of "lure fishing" interest. From Lures to rods thats are simply not otherwise available. Still very much in the "planning and wishful thinking" stage right now tho.

I have also done a few orders where I have bought equipt for myself and one other along the lines of above. Lures not being sold by those retailers here.

I am all for the idea of it, so long as it doesnt tread on the toes of those retailers who sell tackle put food on their families table. If thats the case, then like them, take on a shop with its expenses etc and go at it full time / 100% legit.

Just my personal feelings on this :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.