GT knot in 14lb G-Soul x8 upgrade crap | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

GT knot in 14lb G-Soul x8 upgrade crap

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Pike

Struggling to successfully tie the GT knot in 14lb G-Soul x8 upgrade.
    Tried about 10-12 times each time during tightening down the braid breaks in different places. Sometimes inside the knot's weaves or sometimes along away from the knot. Tried different methods of tying the GT, different numbers of wraps, alternating and non alternating hitch amongst others but after a couple of hours the braid is close to being taken off the spool. I was trying to get some distance on the local beaches in wind to get out of the turbid mucky water close in by going to small diameter 14lb but doesn't look promising!

Anybody been more successful?

Tim

2. Sprat

Had exactly the same problem. Trying to go for distance good sized lure snap. Lost confidence gone back to thicker power pro or Avani braid

3. Mackerel

Have you tried to join the braid to the mono using a J knot ? I haven't, but find the J knot (which is a knot used for Tarpon rigs) easy to tie and strong when joining a leader to the main braid.

4. Pike

Actually to update I have now worked out that if the braid is troubled, then the knot done ( by hand method) then it is fine. Single it is crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Striper

Ive used upgrade since it came out in the 20lb with no probs using uni to uni, however had similar problems to you with the 20lb.

Same wth Daiwa Tournament 8. Brilliant in 30 but crap in 20!!

6. Minnow

Any braid that won't handle being FG'd isn't a goer IMO. I've had no problems whatsoever tying FG knots in sub-10lb breaking strain braids. For the 14lb to struggle makes me think it's undertesting anyway.

One weird thing i notice is that the 14lb G-Soul x8 has a proposed diameter of 0.06, which isn't PE0.6 at all, it's far lower, more like PE0.2. Hard to know without proper line testing but I find the 14lb BS claim to be a bit suspect for that diameter.

7. Wrasse

As somebody who has been fishing for over 50 years I find all this diameter/p.e. stuff hard to fathom. Don't understand how people can ignore the breaking strain of a line and just go on the p.e. rating of line/braid. Look, if a line is rated at whatever p.e. then I also want to know the breaking strain. What is the point of buying a line rated at 1.2 p.e. only for it to break at say...5lb. Surely the p.e. rating and breaking strain are intrinsically linked? I honestly feel that in the quest for ever finer lines/braids that the strength has been sacrificed for diameter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Perch

The only decent leader knot I can manage with the 22lb upgrade is a uni to uni. I won't be investing a second time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wrasse

I had a spool of upgrade that I could snap with my hands. I'll not use it again and gone back to the original

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Mackerel

GT knot on YGK G-soul 12lb 0.8 works for me but I use extra wraps and wet the braid first.

11. Mackerel

Upgrade sucks! The 22lb does anyway. I shan't be using it again after bad experiences last season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minnow

Agreed, but we get what the manufacturer gives us. I recommend anyone who uses braid frequently to check out www.paulusjustfishing.com

The guy knows everything there is to know about braid and has picked apart the details of how manufacturer's statements about diameter and strength compare with the reality under test. Incidentally he's also very critical of most approaches to braid testing, and questions the methods used by the IGFA

13. Perch

The 15 lb braid to 12lb fluro I use wouldn't fg until I started doin 25 turns, seemed going thinner means more knots needed and a stretch of the fluro and braid after the first knot seems to lock it in properly.

14. Pollock

I use up to 35 turns on the fg sometimes Mat. Still flies through the rings fine and works with every braid ive tried,including upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minnow

I never use less that 25 anyway. Or at the very least one turn for every quid my popper costs!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Perch

35! Some of us have alot of spare time on our hands ;)

17. Wrasse

As I understand it the PE rating is simply a line diameter scale and doesn't make any claims about a line's breaking strain as this will vary from braid to braid and will change over time as technologies improve. I think it is a useful guide to the true diameter of a line, (I believe certification is required before it can be quoted), as many lines are packaged with claimed diameters that are clearly inaccurate.
    However I think you need to consider both the PE rating and the B/S to determine which line to use for a particular task, diameter for castability & visibility and B/S for strength.
    one thing that does bug me is seeing braids with PE included in the name but which don't actually include a PE rating on the packaging!

PE MM
    0.2 0.077
    0.4 0.100
    0.6 0.128
    0.8 0.148
    1 0.165
    1.2 0.185
    1.5 0.205
    1.7 0.218
    2 0.235
    2.5 0.260
    3 0.285
    3.5 0.310
    4 0.330
    4.5 0.350
    5 0.370
    6 0.405
    7 0.435
    8 0.470
    10 0.520
    12 0.570
    14 0.620
    16 0.660
    18 0.700
    20 0.740
    22 0.780
    24 0.810
    28 0.870

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Minnow

Yeah that's basically it. Only wrinkle in that is the fact that the real diameter of the line is often quite a bit thicker than the one implied by the stated PE rating...

[​IMG]

Also "PE" is an abbreviation of (Poly)Ethylene, so manufacturers are quite within their rights to call their braid "PE" without using the rating system.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Pollock Supporting Member

Price of some poppers........................you'll run out of line just tieing the knot!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sprat

They never tell you this on YouTube or anywhere else but the gt know will just plain snap on such light braid be it j braid of top dollar daiwa tournament evo or the now new daiwa 12 braid.
    The gt knot used the leader material to dig into and when you finish doing the twists to form the know it has to have a lot of pressure within the knot that wraps around the leader for it to work and not enough pressure those wrapped will just fall out or two much and it will snap. I used from 10lbs braid right through to 20lbs and only when I was using towards the higher stated breaking strain did the knot settle on the the leader material nicely but it supaseeded the 20lbs breaking strain in fact it broke 8/10 towards 40lbs of pull and it never once broke anywhere near the knot it was miles away and it was the fluorocarbon that snapped and its pretty good and very strong pink Asso fluorocarbon at 40lbs breaking strain. Getting back to the knot breaking and its just my opinion that it's quite a brutal knot to tie and of course if you pull to much when setting the know it will literally cut straight through whatever leader that your using in fact you may as well be just using a thin wire leader and I suppose this would be a good comparison as braid is stronger and will do more damage to the know during the pull.
    Out of all the different types of knots that I have tried to use on thin braided mainline mainly 8 strand and thin leader material mostly 20lbs sometimes 30lbs depending on the ground that we fish I have found that the Albright knot or the modified Albright knot will knot with 10lbd daiwa tournament evo 8 strand which per inch is 1000% slicker than any other makes of braid available on the market today its even slicker than the Daiwa morethan 12 strand which I would say has got to be about £60-75 a spool and no I have not used it but I have felt it at a trade fare last year and the tight bugger would now even give me a little bit so I could see what it noted like which I'm not surprised as it probably costs in the same price bracket as gold pmsl so no wonder he may as well have had it under lock and key. The line (12 strand) and was not as slippy, slick, silky or as limp so the normal 8 strand daiwa is harder to know but not necessarily with the lighter line and I can knot 10lbs it a gt know because everything it helped by the way the braid is put together so well but use a normal 4 strain braid like power pro or berkley whiplash crystal and the know is as good as dead from the moment you touch both ends together so then swap the knot to a Albright but make sure the way the tag end enters the loop the tag end has to come back out of the loop the same way and use plenty of (pardon my language for any ladies reading) gooey thick spit and get it in every twist on your knot then gently pull both tags together and any line (braid) from 8lbs to 20lbs and you will get a perfect neat silent know and this won knot wars for 2 years running before the GT knot was tweaked for the new braid craze that took the bass fishing world and now in a big way the fixed spool cod/bass bait fishing world. There's tons of knots out there as you well know but there's not many braid to braid knots or braid to mono leader knots that you don't need 8 pairs of hands to pull a good know off but for sure I m not the best at tying my knots in the dark without when I'm trimming my braid tag that I won't cut to far and I go ballistic we all do it we will all continue to do it no matter how much practice we have but the normal Albright is one bloody strong knot I had a cod over 10lbs on 50lb braid and 100lbs power pro and the sea bed is as rough as it gets and I got snagged up everytime I pumped my rod up but I got the fish and the normal Albright stayed in good shape it got me my first double for 4 years so I was happy and I did check the know then checked it again I even had my mate check it and he said it was fine but I could have tied the improved Albright knot which apparently makes it not stronger but more secure you get a extra row of turns x8 inside the knot loop before you put your leader on so its worth looking at for sure and I can tie the GT knot more a less in the dark and I went out cod fishing last week as I got a T900 and really wanted a session with that rod and a new shimano fixed spool reel and I was by by self plenty of room to wind a few casts up and I found myself tying 2 bimini twists and I did not even think about it I just done it without thinking and I tell you what I'm not pulling anyone's leg here but I got some Asso 8 strand braid free with my reel and the stuff is so very thin but what gives you many extra yards is that it's so round its got no memory and there's pretty much to 0% stretch and it feels beautiful when launching a cheeky one of the ground with a fairly short drop and lets just say it went then it get going and going and going and going and it's definitely the longest cast that I have done with a long pulley rig a 7oz namix lead and a big dirty crab cart Bait with 2 full squid wrapped in to it so we are talking about at least 10 ounces of Bait and 7oz of lead so for those who took bodybuilding at school just like me that's 17oz pmsl and that century T900& the T1000 took I like they were been paid nice quiet casts not a lot of effort at all and put that cart in the cod country but just a pity even after knocking 10 to, especially there was no one in but still enjoying everything about going out and now just waiting for this wind and rain to go and I'll be back out again. Anyway I am babbling and Cheryl tweedy is laid next to me in bed and I hope you boys realise that I have turned some pretty dirty things down with her in the past 20 min so you all owe me a cuppa when you see me and I might even buy her a nice warm flotation suite and bring her out with me if you all practise your knots Goodnight Take care if you are going fishing tonight.