The Lure Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a play with Gulp Alive sandworms last year with interesting results.
This Gulp comes in tubs of 'juice', not the packet stuff.

I'd had a good session on the bass one night using local ragworm (just boring old bottom fishing).
So the next night I decided on a little test, one rod with natural rag, one rod with Gulp, both identical running ledger.

I was amazed when the Gulp actually outfished the natural bait, and was tougher too so lasted well on the hook.

Not really relevent on this forum but I wonder if the 'juice' the gulp is soaked in could be used to flavour other SP's.
It must have some serious scent for bass to find a stationary artificial attractive at night.

I'll give it a go I reckon.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Not really relevent on this forum but I wonder if the 'juice' the gulp is soaked in could be used to flavour other SP's.
It must have some serious scent for bass to find a stationary artificial attractive at night.

I'm sure there's merit to the idea.
I want to find some kind of fish attractant too, I was thinking a kind of 'Lipsyl" device or one of those underarm rollers would be good and not too messy, a quick smear on the lure and away.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I had a play with Gulp Alive sandworms last year with interesting results.
This Gulp comes in tubs of 'juice', not the packet stuff.

I'd had a good session on the bass one night using local ragworm (just boring old bottom fishing).
So the next night I decided on a little test, one rod with natural rag, one rod with Gulp, both identical running ledger.

I was amazed when the Gulp actually outfished the natural bait, and was tougher too so lasted well on the hook.

There's only one way to find out I suppose.

Like you I am using Berkley Gulp (Red) Rag but from a refill packet and I am adding a different attractant.
Is it right that a lot of the Berkley Gulp stuff is reconstituted maize? That might make it absorbent? Some of the SPs I have tried flavouring haven't really taken on much (that I can smell anyway). May need a rethink (foam inserts etc).

Cheers

P

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Paul:

you may remember me mentioning 'pork' lures.

Like yourself, I've had mixed results with getting SP's to take on scents. This is why i favour the jelly. You know it's on there.
Friday night again, all my baits were jellied and of course, it was on my hands when i passed that 3" shad over to Kevin.

Pork though, taken out of the brine, washed and then introduced to oily scents takes up flavour big time.
And, it is SO supple its unreal but...extremely tough !!!!

We've used it as bucktail trailer for years and it comes in many forms and sizes we've never tried.
We have used various types from the Uncle Josh porkrind people. It is, simple yet effective.

Recently we've deduced our 1/2oz bucktails were most likely too big for many area's.
Light 1/8oz jigs with a pork trailer will most likely be better. And pork is either neutral or buoyant in nature owing to the natural fat content.

Pork could have mileage.

Gulp ?

I wrote a post recently about bucket gulp v's pkt gulp.
refill gulp was a very poor second.

I think in winter and especially for bottom feeding 'deadstick' targets, we need to address scents more.

·
Banned
792 Posts
from the biological point of view and as far as I remember, in Danmark and Norway they are using iodine tincture for their bait to flavour because that is what imitates sandeel flavour best...

Have a tryout with tincture from the drugstore or pharmacia.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, a sponge soaked in gulp stuffed up inside a Storm craw may be worth a go.

You can tell I blanked today!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
from the biological point of view and as far as I remember, in Danmark and Norway they are using iodine tincture for their bait to flavour because that is what imitates sandeel flavour best...

Have a tryout with ticture from the drugstore or pharmacia.

Cheers
Thomas
So I suppose you can get that in an eye-dropper type applicator?

Hmm, a sponge soaked in gulp stuffed up inside a Storm craw may be worth a go.

You can tell I blanked today!
We all know the feeling, scratching for a "better" way! I'd thought of the sponge filling idea, I might well try it now I'm not alone!

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have adopted something for this purpose, it still in its early stages, but is defo a sure fire winner for using scent when using sp's, normally i tend to use the juices from lugworm once they've blown in the bucket, but have used pilchard oil before,, wanna know what i use,, swan filter tips for roll ups,, they take up quite a bit of juice and stay on the hook really well, also you can cut them to any length you need, try it and see what you think

1 - 8 of 8 Posts