Gunfish in North Wales | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Gunfish in North Wales

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Pollock

Hi,

I often hear very good things about the Gunfish in ghost colours (from the chaps down south). I tried and used this lure extensively last season without any success. I swapped the Gunfish for a Patchinko 500g & bingo fish on, this happened on many occasions.

Just wondering if any or the North Wales lads have had a similar experience.

2. Perch

I'd be interested in the replies to this.
    I fish the east coast around Scarborough and have struggled on the Gunfish too. Big and small patch have produced fish as well as the TH Vulture and salt skimmer. I often wonder am I just not giving it enough water time, ie my confidence is low so quickly swap over to another lure...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Perch

Not had much on mine either in South Wales

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bass

I'm further North in SW Scotland and always carry a gunfish, don't know why cos I've never caught on it. I think I stick with it cos in 2015 I was retrieving it and right at my feet as I was just about to lift it out a rather big bass jumped out the water and tried to eat it. If I'd been quicker I could have reached down and picked it up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Striper

Cracking lure down this way

• Like Like x 1
  6. Striper

Personally Paul, you cant beat the Patch 100 in 500g around here! Its my "go to" surface lure on the Menai Straits......Anglesey and the Llŷn!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Perch

Never had a sniff on them and gave them away Paul - pig yellow patch is pretty much all I need :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Striper

Ahhhh the nightime favourite! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Banned

Hardly given my gunfish any water time, mine is a gull magnet and it does my head in lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pollock

Decent lures can work everywhere. They no nothing of borders;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Pollock Supporting Member

......and they don't stop working. Faddy anglers just move on to the next sure thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Striper

I'll stick with my family of Yammys ! Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Pollock

What conditions you using it in ? I wouldn't stick my Gunny on unless there's quite a bit of chop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blenny

Never caught much on a gunfish. Do much better with patches and zclaws.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sandeel

Two different lures for different conditions, I'd use the patch 100 in calm conditions and the gun fish, which is more of a hybrid walk the dog come popper in rougher conditions. Can't really compare the 2. Each to there own. Have caught plenty on the patch 100, but like a lot of the other chaps, never caught on the gunny.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pollock

The GF has had it's moments up here in North Wales , but so has all the other popular TW's . The GF has been mainly a choice for me when taking into consideration what type of baitfish the Bass are feeding on and how aggressive they were attacking the bait on the day . At one time the GF was one of the best TW's around , but since the introduction of new and better TW lures it tends to play second fiddle in my lure box .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandeel

Not much of a Gunfish fan but I would be interested to know what are the '' new and better TW lures'' you refer to Gary, Dou Realis Pencil Popper , Vulture perhaps ?

18. Perch

I'm having a grey moment, remind me what is a Yammy o_O

19. Pollock

These new lures are better, end of ! Be it stability of casting , distance gained or a better action in the water . The lures you mentioned are good , apart from the Realis (can't comment on that one as I don't have one) , but at the end of the day is up to you as an angler to "way it up" and make the right choice of selecting the correct lure on the day .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Striper

Osp Yamato Diarmuid been using them years the boys take the mick out of them , I've not know that many to have fish on them but they work all year round for me .

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1