Gurgler | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Gurgler

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by {name}, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Sprat

Still getting to grips with these big hooks. Far too tempting to tie too much material on.

Any criticism welcome on this one, it is the only way to improve after all.

[​IMG]

Dan

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chub

Looks good to me. I'm sure a range of colours will catch- I've had best luck with chartreuse over white in the day and all black at night. Also had some joy last autumn tying a sandeel pattern on a dropper off the bend of the gurgler hook - NZ style. Seemed to work when the fish had got a bit shy of committing to the Gurgler.

What size is your Gurgler? I've had most luck with 6" 2\0 jobs which initially felt big but are small by comparison with most hard plastic surface lures I chuck.

One thing's for sure: surface action can't be beat

3. Sprat

Cheers Will

This one is 4" on a 1/0 hook, will make sure to tie some brightly coloured and some black ones up! Would be interested to know if a massive booby pattern would work, they certainly do for trout.

4. Chub

Never tried the booby in the sea but sure they would work and seem to dimly remember reading some forum report confirming this
    The Crease fly was designed to fish on a sinking line so no reason the booby wouldn't do the job
    I grew up in Eastbourne- where do you fish?

5. Sprat

Really very new to sea fishing. At the moment I am concentrating on getting to know the marks in the Seaford to Eastbourne coastline as well as I can with lures. Once I have some confidence I will try to take some on the fly.

Most of my fishing previously was in South Wales for wild river brown trout (hence the 6lber in my avatar) with small flies so this is a massive change for me. I head over to Bristol fairly frequently but have never fished around there.

Dan

6. Chub

I grew up fishing livebait and peeler round Eatsbourne marks- principally the pier (how sad it has burnt down) and nearby the Wish Tower. This was well before I got struck down by the lure of the lure and definitely before I had enough confidence to fly fish in the salt. Salty fly fishing is definitely my fave but it does take some guts to just get on with it- this was my major limiting factor for years and I wish I had manned up earlier! I still take my lure rod with me unless conditions are very near perferct as there is nothing more frustrating than surface activity just out of double hauling range ;-(

You've got some great ground near you so hopefully the wind will die down sooner rather than later as that Sussex water does colour up easily

7. Sprat

The last few trips have definitely turned in to reccies more than fishing trips with the water colour. Cant see your feet in ankle deep water at the moment.

8. Pike

The fishing deck on the pier is still open as only the arcade burnt down. Haven't fished from it for ten years but hear of regular bass catches from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sea Trout 2015 Bass Challenge Winner 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

Nice work. Like the look of that.