The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In need of a new popper, was thinking Feed shallow but wanted to try something different as i have loads of Tackle House gear.

Has anyone used this? If so, any good for bass and which size/colour have you tired? Or is the Tacklehouse feed popper the way to go?

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bobby,

Have got the 30g (the smallest) rooster popper in purple top silver belly. Have not had a bass on it yet but I think in the right situation it could work well e.g. bass hitting larger baitfish. It also casts well. However, it is chunky and I think something a bit slimmer might cover more situations.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Bobby,
Waiting with baited breath for the 100mm/22g Feed Popper in Saba (mackerel) colour.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bobby,
Waiting with baited breath for the 100mm/22g Feed Popper in Saba (mackerel) colour.
I am waiting for the dolphin fish colour feed popper to arrive.
The tacklehouse feed poppers are really well put together and work well when there is a good chop on the surface, I previously had the holo silver with red head until it ................left me!.
I was playing around with some Yo-Zuri mag poppers (105mm) today that I haven't used yet (bought them about 3 years ago), I was really impressed with them. Got the sandeel, green mackerel and dark blue/black ones. These felt really easy to use.
Sometimes I think we don't give our old lures a good enough go before it hits the reserve box (B-Team box). Eye opener for me today to be honest.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
That Mag Popper 105mm in sandeel or green mackerel slowly walked, still scores plenty of bass (did for me last year anyway) Casts pretty well into a headwind, which is good for those days when the wind is firmly in your face. Still a very good lure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Bob,

Long time no see.

I have a 30g Rooster Popper in red head white body. It casts really well, makes a big splash and rattles. However, my brother managed to launch it 2 yards into the shingle at Cuckmere Haven a few months ago and put some serious cracks in it. I actually used it yesterday and did something similar and finished off the destruction job - big chunk of plastic came off the tail. Now to be 'retired hurt'. I blame the bail arm coming over mid cast, but it could be due to some idiot getting distracted and forgetting to open it!! I was quite fond of it and might consider replacing it. Fair price at £10 and worth adding to your next order from Jersey. I never caught on it though, but I am the king of the blankers. I believe that Henry is also a fan, check out the tackle section of his blog. Another option is the Daiwa Saltiga popper, which I've heard good things about. Similar weight and a shiney finish.

All the best,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi guys,

I was thinking of replacing my Roosta Popper and was wondering if anyone else uses them. When is the best time to use them, what colours would you recommend and have you caught on them?

Regards,
Tony.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use them - but infrequently and have yet to have a fish on one in the UK. GTs to 25kg in Aus on them though.

There are better UK poppers and sliders I think, but I still have it in my bag and I will use it again. They cast well and have a very big 'footprint'.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been catching on the yo-zuri mag 10cm, much better action than the large one. The one i've been using is dark mullet looking with a bronze colouring. I must admit i've had more action when i've kept it moving fairly fast than when i use a slow retrieve.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Knowing almost "sweet FA" about poppers, I was wondering if any of these are worth a go??

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mega-Fishing-Tackle__W0QQ_fsubZ1732159014

Going by the advertized weights of these things, I would assume that they'l have little or no trouble in casting into head winds. As for how good they are tho, that can only be found out by their use.
My only popper, is a TH Feed, in black. No success with it as yet, but when the tides come round to when I shall be fishing in the dark, then hopefully it will show its worth.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the smaller Roosta popper in the gold/black colour looks like a dead pollock ;) i have had one bass on it maybe 2lbs but it seems to take em it was the only fish of the session.
resiae22.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts