The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 fished tonight.

Kev, myself and Paul B.

We arrived, set up, Paul said it felt fishy.

we walked to the area where we intended to fish to see a guy was already there pounding and hammering away with 20-30g lures and in 2 hours, he'd had 2 bites, 2 fish.

It was bombed out.

We fished for half hour and I tld this bloke of our LRF exploits as kev nicked a few early fish.
Kev fished most of the night with a small JH and a smoke grey craw on my Shimano Diaflash.

It was actually very tough for an hour...

The guy left and we settled into little rhythmic sessions of fish. Kev was straight to a light jig, I was SSG to a 12 hook and Paul was using Tuna gear as usual..

But, it wasn't long before Kev started to run away with things. Bigger Pouting were thowing themselves at it tonight.

Pout like this..

And this, one was best side of 12oz.

Over half of tonights catch was decent Pout.

I'd lost a big fish early in the session. I walked around the corner a bit but soon heard a screaming drag. As I scuttled around, Paul lost a BIG ! fish. He was now of course on an SSG and a Carolina rigged Reins bait to a size 12. Minutes later he had this. Kev was nearing 20 fish and was thinking about the LRF session record....

This was a nice fish. He had another just like it too not minutes later.

Like this...

Well fought out stuff...here is a nice one in the water just before landing..

The face of the quarry...

Brilliant session, hard though at times. Fish numbers of course don't reflect that.

We all caught 2 species.

Kev took the most LRF points in one session record.

22 fish, 2 species = 24 points

Paul, 15 fish, 2 species for 17 LRF points and for me...

13 fish, 2 species, 15 LRF points.

Grand total of 50 fish

Can this stuff possibly get any better....

I think, absolutely !

·
Registered
207 Posts
You guys are acting out everyones boyhood dream !! I can't wait to get kitted out and give this a go and like you've said previously, it makes UK lure fishing a year round possibility. In fact I think winter fishing over there has been more productive than the summer in quantity anyway !!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mike Cornelius said:
You guys are acting out everyones boyhood dream !!
Errr not quite Mike, my boy hood dream involved two of the Pans People dancers and a bottle of baby oil:shock::shock:

OOps just me then....pervert..:muttley::muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Errr not quite Mike, my boy hood dream involved two of the Pans People dancers and a bottle of baby oil:shock::shock:

I was obviously thinking of younger aspirations than you. The word that needs to be highlighted is BOYHOOD ! Then again you could have been an early developer !!

·
Registered
519 Posts
what a night, 50 fish in a few hours, it was very hard fishing though when compared to other night's, thanks for the loan of the rod keith, what a difference compared with my reddington, not that it's a bad rod by any stretch, it's just not the type of rod that can detect takes on the lighter jigs, can't wait till my zaltz and hard rock fish to arrive, hopefully next week, then see if i can push the 30 fish barrier night.

kev

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
good work guys! that water is super clear where were u fishing the evian factory?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That was good fun.

Just to be clear, the hook pulled on the bigger fish as it headed west off a reasonable drag with no signs of wanting to stop. I wouldn't like our detractors elsewhere suggesting that the gear isn't up to the job! Otherwise I easily felt more in control than I have done once or twice with with a 4lb thicklip on 5lb line.

It's all about learning and practice in the end. The Carolina rig makes lighter lures easier to use, no doubt and I am converted. I must have missed at least 10 good bites before I changed from a 2g jighead to that rig.

The bigger fish were respectable shore caught fish in anyone's books. Despite the small hooks they were caught in the scissors mostly, which I take to mean they were inhaling the lures before turning away.

BTW the "tuna gear" was a sexy new Illex SP on a 5g football head! You never know when they are going to want a monster lure LOL.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are acting out everyones boyhood dream !! I can't wait to get kitted out and give this a go and like you've said previously, it makes UK lure fishing a year round possibility. In fact I think winter fishing over there has been more productive than the summer in quantity anyway !!
I simply cannot explain in words, the 'buzz' that is being in a group of LRF fishermen who are 'in the zone'. It is simply nuts.
There were times last night when it was non stop. Don't forget that we stop to photograph this stuff for the enjoyment of this forum too and that eats fishing time.
So, it's possible 50 could have been more.

Yep, pervert I think..

good result Keith, Paul and Kev! - the water looks like a swimming pool its so clean!
Has been cleaner Alex. This is why we have gone light, small, refined, call it what you will.The fish are getting a really good look at the soft lures and we have to play by those parameters.

what a night, 50 fish in a few hours, it was very hard fishing though when compared to other night's, thanks for the loan of the rod keith, what a difference compared with my reddington, not that it's a bad rod by any stretch, it's just not the type of rod that can detect takes on the lighter jigs, can't wait till my zaltz and hard rock fish to arrive, hopefully next week, then see if i can push the 30 fish barrier night.

kev
Well, the race is on for a 100 fish day/night for sure. Individually, i reckon in summer, a 50 could be done. Won't be easy though.
Last night we joked about having attainment in LRF badges for newcomers or kids etc like 10 LRF points, 25, 50, 75 and 100.
Exponentially harder each time and would actually set some high standards and goals if we took it seriously. However: I'm a matchman/competitive angler. I know this and I'm keen to hold back with turning it into something elitist. It should be for everyone but, a bit of self attainment and goal setting with personal bests, ticking multiple species off lists, being first to catch a species etc just adds to the blast that is LRF. When the HRF kicks into gear this will get crazy. Guys could be reporting 2oz gobies thru 6lb wrasse in one session.

good work guys! that water is super clear where were u fishing the evian factory?
How did you guess. Could you tell from the rocks in the photo ? We'll have to careful guys LOL

Just to be clear, the hook pulled on the bigger fish as it headed west off a reasonable drag with no signs of wanting to stop. I wouldn't like our detractors elsewhere suggesting that the gear isn't up to the job! Otherwise I easily felt more in control than I have done once or twice with with a 4lb thicklip on 5lb line.

It's all about learning and practice in the end. The Carolina rig makes lighter lures easier to use, no doubt and I am converted. I must have missed at least 10 good bites before I changed from a 2g jighead to that rig.

The bigger fish were respectable shore caught fish in anyone's books. Despite the small hooks they were caught in the scissors mostly, which I take to mean they were inhaling the lures before turning away.

BTW the "tuna gear" was a sexy new Illex SP on a 5g football head! You never know when they are going to want a monster lure LOL.
You had some great fish last night Paul and I've seen lots of people play bigger fish on light gear and you did nothing wrong at all. Gear was performing great too. Just one of those things.
Just kidding about the Tuna gear but used the reference as a comparison because a 5g head is light in the overall picture but last night it was like comparing a tiny xlayer to a big 100g head and wrecking plastic. I don't think people are really aware of just how small we have gone here. And, like you say, every one I hooked was in the scissors on those size 12 hooks. No fear of loosing the fish either. Solid hook holds, protected by the right gear.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Cracking session chaps. Lets hope that some of the beasties are around this evening

I have also come to the conclusion that I am a jonah!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Another great night by the looks lof things. Well done guys.
I have not seen water that clear since last summer!!! Amazing. Mind you the Thames was pretty clear yesterday..... no pollack in there though!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracking session chaps. Lets hope that some of the beasties are around this evening

I have also come to the conclusion that I am a jonah!
Tonight could be interesting over at Takeshi's Castle. Paul reckons numbers could be down but the fish...BIGGER !

Another great night by the looks lof things. Well done guys.
I have not seen water that clear since last summer!!! Amazing. Mind you the Thames was pretty clear yesterday..... no pollack in there though!
Like we keep telling you Mike...
You know where we are...

Anyway, you've got hoards of winter LRF targets to go for over there.
Scale it down and hold on...
Flounder etc will jump all over little tiny soft lures I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Tonight could be interesting over at Takeshi's Castle. Paul reckons numbers could be down but the fish...BIGGER !

Like we keep telling you Mike...
You know where we are...

Anyway, you've got hoards of winter LRF targets to go for over there.
Scale it down and hold on...
Flounder etc will jump all over little tiny soft lures I'm sure.
Not going to disagree with number of species, just the conditions haven't been good at all. We will sort it out soon and you will be the first to know about it!!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Nice work yet again. My best LRF is 7 fish and 1 species. I intend to catch up soon. not fished in a week now as i've not had time and we'd been plagued with those NE winds (which have just gone this weekend) which come straight into nearly all of our harbour areas that you can fish.

What are you doing with the lures? Are you cutting them smaller or have you found a smaller lure to use "whole". How do you cut them if you do? In half lengthways seems logical?? I have plans to try one of our marks on LRF but I expect to be smashed to pieces several times.

JP, fancy a sesh down the other side of that mark we seem to meet at quite often?? Needs 2 people at night really though I have done it alone several times. Been smashed up on the mullet gear more than once so expect the same on LRF.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are you doing with the lures? Are you cutting them smaller or have you found a smaller lure to use "whole". How do you cut them if you do? In half lengthways seems logical?? I have plans to try one of our marks on LRF but I expect to be smashed to pieces several times.
Mostly purpose built now m8.
We did and still do 'modify' soft lures depending upon what is required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts