The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow moring we are on the water in the boat for the first time this year..leaving at 6 am were at it for the day Danny,Pat and myself, after about 12/15 trips out on the shore this year with no success hopefully this will be the day to start racking up a few fish, first stop pollock rock see how the boys are keeping get the jigger down and up they come...got loads of new stuff to try cant wait to see how we get on its been a long couple of months and we are finally on the good side of it now.... Mothers day is on hold in Danny"s and my house tomorrow were gettin the jiggers down hun see you tomorrow evening so all in all if the winds keep to a reasonable speed were gonna have a top days fishing will post up the results tomorrow or monday.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
good luck and i bet you won't be able to sleep tonight. We're out tomorrow for the first time on the boat this year so will be interesting how we all do. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good luck and i bet you won't be able to sleep tonight. We're out tomorrow for the first time on the boat this year so will be interesting how we all do. Good luck.
best of luck Jamo we will see how we do in the morning bit like Henry now not being able to sleep tonight......

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well after many long days and nights we we were finally there back to the boating season, it was a 5 o clock start with me picking up Danny at 5.30 and then heading to the marina to meet Pat.. What a beautiful morning it was flat calm conditons with very little cloud in the sky, 6am and out putting the soft plastics to work.. first stop pollock rock had a few quick drifts with no real success bar a small coalie 1lb and half so we decided to hit a mark we fished early and late in each season it was an 8 mile steam but well worth the trip,its a reef that has about 25/40 feet of water over it surrounded by deeper water..from the word go it was fish after fish pollock coalies,cod and the odd wrass thrown in not huge fish but still great sport on the light gear best of the day was 4lb pollock and a 3lb wrass with all types of plastics working from the xlayer, giant xlayer, 5&6 inch one up shads xorus rolling shads,storm sand eels,gt shads, red gills and a few others thrown in as well most colours were doing the trick with chatruse and ayu and black pulling most of the fish out..as the day progressed the fishing kept getting better, loads of fish showing on the fish finder at various depts up to 80 feet in places...as the day ended we headed back to pollock rock for the last hour and hit a shoal of coalies great end to a great day roll on the summer when a few of the bigger fish and the bass move nearer to shore and on to the reefs.i would say we had close to 200 fish for the day between the 3 of us.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A1 lad will have a look there now

·
Registered
825 Posts
well done lads i was down around the hook on mothers day duty yesterday it looked really good out.fair play to ye thats a great start to the year.

·
Registered
825 Posts
no danny no birds working and i had a really clear view i could see for miles.i was thinking about ye out in the boat and i was waiting for the report great stuff.

·
Registered
779 Posts
nice one guys - plenty of fish & fun by the look of it :)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice report guys. Well done. Now imagine those fish on the gear we are using ?

Keep up the trips and reports.

They make great reading.
the only problem we were having juring the day was keeping the jig heads down with the current, 22 gram jigs and 18 grams were needed unfortunatly the lighter jigs we had just would not work we had 5,7,10, 12,and 14 grams aswell to no real effect with the odd fish taken on the 14 and 12 gram heads, although it would be great sport on ultra light gear if we could get around that problem.....mabey you guys have a way round it would be great to try it over the coming weeks ....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
the only problem we were having juring the day was keeping the jig heads down with the current, 22 gram jigs and 18 grams were needed unfortunatly the lighter jigs we had just would not work we had 5,7,10, 12,and 14 grams aswell to no real effect with the odd fish taken on the 14 and 12 gram heads, although it would be great sport on ultra light gear if we could get around that problem.....mabey you guys have a way round it would be great to try it over the coming weeks ....
Use thin lines and chuck up tide. Fish in contact on the drop or...
drift.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Drag on the line is one thing, the other is drag on the lure. You might find that something with a slim profile like a Storm Sandeel will help. They have caught me a lot of pollack here albeit inshore and nothing over 4lb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts