The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
fished quite aggressively the last 2 or 3 days. Actually, it's all just blended together...
Very tired now...

The other evening me and Kev fished the same general area (plus) as Paul and Callum and a few extra (secret heads) too.

Kev had some great Rockfish but I played with a few idea's as I had a client the following day who wanted to do one of our Hard Bait modules. I wanted to sharpen up.

5 Bass to 2.5lb, about 40 Pollack to 3lb and 6 really big mackerel to a 7cm Jackson Athlete sinking lure and another suspending plug at 9cm.

The following morning I met up with Tony.

Anyway, it was overcast and raining. Great !
6am in the morning and I picked him up looking depressed because it was miserable.

I quickly assured him that actually, this was great !

We ran through safety around swell and got him started with the Danish retrieve and the principle of current, the way Bass approach plugs and showed him why we were selecting the plug we did. He fished for 30 minutes in an OK zone to get his casting right and the retrieves, stops and line weighting right...

He was quite simply, the perfect pupil. He listened.

We moved to a spot close by in swell, whitewater and current.

Tony, cast over there and wait. Let some controlled slack off the rod top. There is a submerged head there with the potential to hold a really nice Bass. Guide talk maybe....

We waited....

10 seconds...

The plug slowly got pulled into the crease line....

Maintain the tension Tony...

The line shot straight...

Suddenly, there was a silver torpedo screaming away downcurrent at incredible speed. I saw the look of disbelief on Tony's face...

70 meters now dowcurrent, we had to risk adjusting the drag mid fight.
JEEZ, it's turned back....

What happened next was quite simply....

Unbelievable...

You can read about it when I've processed the photo's.

The trip carried on with some HRF and a night mission on the plug which culminated in yet another good Bass using modern techniques for night plugging in a really bright moon. Yes, the cloud had gone.

Anyway, there was a bunch of other stuff that happened but all in all, it was pretty good.

I fished first thing myself today to wind down and had a bunch of Pollack and Mackerel whilst testing a new to the UK Yamatoyo LRF Braid.

So, the LRF/HRF wagon keeps on rolling...

Hearing reports of great catches from the team too.

Thanks to the guys who fished last light and offered support. Tony expresses his thanks for that and so do I. Cheers.

So, more later..

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Sounds good so far, looking forward to the rest of the story (you old tease you ;) ).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a build up to something I've never seen happen before, ever...
It was quite simply, out of this world and it didn't involve aliens or Steve Lewis.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm going for either... It was taken by a saltwater crocodile, or.... it was a 30lb salmon.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well done guys, your really putting in the effort and time. I fished yesterday and had a nice wrasse and lost 2! Gutted but its GOOD to be catching again.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ooohhhhh good thinking Ben . . . . . . a "what happened next" scenario. It's just like Question of Sport. Keith can be Sue Barker !!!!

Ok, my guess:

It was a 5lb Bass, and it got nailed by a Dolphin on the way in, and that got hooked-up and landed, for a total weight of 170lbs & a length of 6ft :shock:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
It's a build up to something I've never seen happen before, ever...
It was quite simply, out of this world and it didn't involve aliens or Steve Lewis.
:sad:

Thanks Keith, I love and respect you as well :wink:

·
Registered
849 Posts
It jumped and landed at his feet?

A shortfin baby Mako ate it?

It actually was a silver torpedo and Jersey has now sunk?

Don't leave us hanging like that! ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nar it was a little bass that was taken by a big bass that was taken by a seal that was taken by a great white.that was taken by an orca. Think captain Ahab could be in there somewhere. Hurry and tell all please Keith.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Full report going on my blog later. Tony has given me the go ahead to blog his trip out.

He might join the lureforum at some stage.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes we did weigh the Bass Ritchie.

It was decided to leave actual weight to the imagination in this case.
I think Tony is going to comment on the blog regards this trip so he might tell you.

Oh...

Callum knows btw...

LOL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ok for the imagination it is! Great fish either way, wheter it be a 1lb or 10lb fish. Always hard to tell the size from your photos as there all reallly close to the lense ;)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That must be the problem with your Bass photographer Ritchie....

He's obviously asking you to hold them behind your back.

IMHO:

Nothing wrong with highlighting 'the fish'.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts