The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mentioned on here a few times about the fact that we aren't blessed with the best fishing around these parts. I was chatting to somebody I know in a local toackle shop earlier today and was quite stunned by what he said. I am not sure where he got all the information from but no reason to disbelieve him.

At one point this Winter, due to bad weather there was 27 scallop boats moored in Shoreham Harbour! Looking at the chains attached to their gear it is not surpirsing that little is caught around here. The seabed is being destroyed. I saw many of these boats and of the ports I recognised the registration for they came from as far away as Scotland, Lowestoft and Brixham!!!!! Obviously not going to come all that way unless it is worth their while.

He also said that one scallop dredger in a single run made £92,000 in a single run which ended at Rye. (How he knew that I don't know)

Now even if the last statement is not true the damage being done is obvious with so many boats from all over the UK finding such rich pickings in our area.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, sorry to hear that the commercials are knackering the sea bed and hence ecosystems in your area. Hope you can find some decent fishing within a reasonable distance this year.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not just regarding fishing, but when will we realise the true cost of cheap?
If something is cheap, it's for a reason. Somewhere down the line somebody's paying for it.
Aside from blatant profiteering, if things have a perceived high price there's usually good reason behind it.
sorry pet hate of mine....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I agree - look at Primark and their use of cheap labour - somebody always pays ... doesn't stop the appetite for "cheap" stuff in the UK ... :/

I would happily pay for Bass if it was caught via rod and line and sustainable ...but alas I believe it will not happen until a catastrophe happens .... :/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts