The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been out for 2 days now on the south east coast of Jersey we have not sighted, hooked, smelt a bass, all of our spots are devoid of fish. We have seen wrasse,pollack, snipe and even sandeels but not one bass.

I am putting our luck down to volcanic ash in the water?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Having been out for 2 days now on the south east coast of Jersey we have not sighted, hooked, smelt a bass, all of our spots are devoid of fish. We have seen wrasse,pollack, snipe and even sandeels but not one bass.

I am putting our luck down to volcanic ash in the water?
Err, no.

Took the boat as far as La Moye today for a shake down run and on the way back bumped (almost literally) into a large dolphin coming the other way. Slowed the boat down as I didn't know which way he would turn and he didn't. Just passed by a few feet a way on his merry way west. Maybe to join the party at La Moye Point?

"Ah, Flipper" said my crew, I won't repeat what I said. Would never do anything to upset one, but can't see what the fuss is about really?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alan - yes! Didn't land one but my lad had three separate fish swirl after his lure (Fin-S Fish) yesterday, and I had a good fish follow my Feed Shallow right up to my feet before refusing. Saw nowt today mind!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Err, no.

Took the boat as far as La Moye today for a shake down run and on the way back bumped (almost literally) into a large dolphin coming the other way. Slowed the boat down as I didn't know which way he would turn and he didn't. Just passed by a few feet a way on his merry way west. Maybe to join the party at La Moye Point?
Bob and me saw that dolphin today too down by bottle opener rock on our back today, it was a huge dolphin eh, we have it on video I will upload it tomorrow. He was still on his own, we recon he is a misseable old sod that no one likes, so we names him Oldchukka!!

No Alan we didnt see a bass today and we tried some lovely marks with good tide etc, water was 30ft clear in some places. We had some wrasse and saw a snipe.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Apparently there was a very large pod sighted this afternoon heading east about a mile offshore. Over 15 or so according to the guy that saw them

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
This sort of reinforces why I'm certain LRF and HRF has a bright future. Why fish for what isn't there ?
Come one, we all know that the first sunshine brings out the shiny lures and we all know it's the worst time.
Yet year in, year out, it's the same pattern.

Save the energy till late season for the Bass and have a blast in the meantime. You'll catch Bass incidentally anyway.
2 tide cycles to go and we might see a run of fish as water hits 12.5 - 13 deg. then, at 16-17 it'll die again until autumn.
2 runs of fish, every year, why fight it, live with it.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Naff all here but thousands of mullet. I'll do a weekend report tonight but basically... 10 hours. 1 fish... Where's the suicide smilie??!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This sort of reinforces why I'm certain LRF and HRF has a bright future. Why fish for what isn't there ?
Come one, we all know that the first sunshine brings out the shiny lures and we all know it's the worst time.
Yet year in, year out, it's the same pattern.

Save the energy till late season for the Bass and have a blast in the meantime. You'll catch Bass incidentally anyway.
2 tide cycles to go and we might see a run of fish as water hits 12.5 - 13 deg. then, at 16-17 it'll die again until autumn.
2 runs of fish, every year, why fight it, live with it.
Fair call... I didn't know those temparatures (do you think they are universal, or CI specific?). Definitely have seen the bass die away in the summer each year (though we know they are still there...) and then come back big time in the Autumn. Caught a load of good sized bass through to mid-Jan last year and then it died completely. Earlier this year.

Having done some reading here over the past couple of days I'm keen to target the wrasse. Need to understand the technique a bit better but certainly I've got marks where I can consistently catch them to a good size on small, deep diving plugs so I'll try the jellies too. If I can get my head round the method... Are you targetting the Wrasse from a boat or just rock marks?

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keith , we were not throwing lures for the bass , we spent most of our time using small softies , and yes we were catching some lovely dislexsic bass ( wrasse ) and that is what we went for
a most enjoyable session with the Injections & 10grm heads
I've seen the pics Bob. You had some nice ones.

If I can get my head round the method... Are you targetting the Wrasse from a boat or just rock marks?

Cheers,

Jim
Come out and learn the method's m8.
As to boat or rocks ?
Both and Skish too when we get back in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bob and me saw that dolphin today too down by bottle opener rock on our back today, it was a huge dolphin eh, we have it on video I will upload it tomorrow. He was still on his own, we recon he is a misseable old sod that no one likes, so we names him Oldchukka!!

No Alan we didnt see a bass today and we tried some lovely marks with good tide etc, water was 30ft clear in some places. We had some wrasse and saw a snipe.
lmao :-D (is he trying to cling-on to others aswell!!)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was out over the whole weekend on the boat, went to the gutters and not a whiff of a bass, but plenty of makeral and snipe off portlet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Keith , we were not throwing lures for the bass , we spent most of our time using small softies , and yes we were catching some lovely dislexsic bass ( wrasse ) and that is what we went for
a most enjoyable session with the Injections & 10grm heads
Those injections are a lovely lovely rod eh! Bob i hope you left your patchinko at home!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts