The Lure Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved this email from G.Loomis in America...

"Hi Folks,

All of you who receive and read our newsletter know we don't get "political" here. Democrats, Republicans, and Independents all fish and love the outdoors. Now I'm not telling you I don't have some pretty strong views, but this is usually not the place to air them. Yes, I get tired of the extreme right and extreme left claiming they represent me (and perhaps you). Basically either side is so far to one side or the other nowadays that neither represents about 90+% of us normal Americans. We (the 90+%) are usually found in the "middle ground" that both sides seem unable to relate to and often choose to ignore.

With this issue of our newsletter I want all of you to be aware of a serious threat to the hobby we so enjoy. Recreational fishing is under attack and there is a real possibility that if we ALL do not act we all will lose the right to fish in over 40% of our fishing grounds. The White House (President Obama) is saying that a huge portion of our United States oceans, coastal and Great Lakes should be CLOSED to ALL fishing due to concerns about commercial fishing and stocks depletion. Many fishing tackle manufacturers and other interested parties who are involved in recreational fishing have testified to the stewardship fishermen bring to our waters, but that testimony was, for want of a better term, ignored. Now there is a real possibility that this closure can happen without the Congress even having a say! It's called an Executive Order and by using this tool our government is threatening to close 40% of these resources to ALL of us whether we be campers, hikers, or fishermen. The proposal is that these areas would be CLOSED to all. That's A-L-L. No permits, no licenses, no access. Closed to ALL.

If this sort of news surprises you and you are angry then we have done part of what we set out to do this issue. I'll bet you didn't even know about this threat! This could all happen WITHOUT your Congressman or Senators even having a say! So, here's some information that you need if you, as we are, are offended and mad that this could possibly happen.

First, read about this situation at Keep America Fishing's web site: http://www.keepamericafishing.org/index.html which is an affiliate of the American Sportfishing Association. Second, ACT! Email your Congressman and Senator immediately asking them to "Oppose an Oceans and Great Lakes Executive Order". Use this link: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml to find your Congressman and Senators' email address (or web site) and send an email immediately. You will find a great letter already composed here: http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=14653146

Everyone we have asked has said flooding your Congressman or Senators with emails will make a difference and is something they WILL pay attention to. So come folks, do your part and let's make sure that us and our kids can continue to enjoy our sport and the character that it builds.

Otherwise, we have some great news this newsletter, not the least of which is Extremely Lower Prices on Megabass, our annual Increased Trade-In Values, and lots more. Thanks again for your patronage, friendship, and confidence.

Oh, by the way....GO COLTS!!!!

Tight Lines,

Tom Ashby"

What do you think? We look to America as an example of a booming, well-managed sportfishing industry, is this about to change?

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Swordfish STILL being targetted is US water, the American sold huge licenses to the Japanese fishing fleet-for tuna, West coast is suffering from environmental warming. This is similar to the measures that saved the east coast years ago.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I'm reading it right... Maybe to stop sport fishing is extreme, but having the confidence to stop fishing for environmental good, without worrying about the backlash is quite impressive stuff from any Government!!! A bad thing for the anglers, but blimmin impressived with the size of the governmental testicles.

·
Banned
792 Posts
they can never stop pirate fishers with that.
As long as you get good money for thuna / whale in the far east, there will be professionell fish hunters.

Read "the swarm" from Frank Schätzing, a SF novell, but really good. Hope nature will really get this solved.
no, suicide is no solution to me...
Thomas

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I think the current panic over there is because the no defination as to what types of fishing are to be banned. The bill states fishing would be banned, as did the east coast protection measures did. But in reality it was commerical fishing/selling fish that was banned. Don't forget these bills are written by non fishermen. I know the eco lobby in the states has lost some of it's bite in recent years, but no one would dare upset the fishing/hunting lobby. FAR far too many votes at stake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts