The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not having the best of times at the moment. After flying high on confidence for the past few weeks with zero in the way of blanks and learning/working a lot of things out, I've hit a bit of a wall on my past 2 outings. Not just psycholigically, but also my luck just seems to have run out :-(

I fished a local spot with Marq a couple of nights ago and although we had 2 bass each, everything apart from a 5 minute catching spell seemed to go wrong for me.

First up it was £20 worth of flying lure that went sailing out minus my mainline. Luckily the old 'tangled line' trick did the business and I got it back, but not after Marq spent 10 minutes casting at it.

After I'd cocked up a couple of leader knot attempts, finally I was fishing again. 2 fish in qucik succession and things were looking up again. Until that is, I dropped my 2 main 'bits' boxes at my feet. One, full of tiny jigheads popped open and spread its contents over the rocks in front of me. Some of the heavier jigs stopped where they landed, but the majority of the lighter stuff rolled off down the rocks and in to the water. I managed to get the box itself back, but minus 3/4 of its contents, it was fairly useless. The second box went straight in the water and sunk to the bottom, 6' below. I could see it, just not get it! Again, full of jigheads, it was never coming up again. I didn't think too much of it at the time and didn't think I really had much in there. On reflection though, I'm now down about £50 worth of jigheads! :cry: And clips, and hooks. I like buying new stuff, but could do without the pressure of HAVING to spend a load of money to make it all up again.

Then, last night was a weird one. I climbed down to my first choice mark expecting to be able to reach a normal spot. After all the climbing though, I arrived to see the tide still an hour too high to get out there. There was no way I was waiting with it getting dark already, so climbing back up the cliffs (annoyed already) and walking half a mile further up the coast, I arrived at another favourite mark.

5 minutes in and I'd already snagged and lost a Zip Baits System Minnow. Especially annoying if you knew why I didn't want to lose this one lure. The rest of the evening wasn't quite so annoying (I stuck with simple soft baits in the dark), but I was seriously, seriously, seriously surprised that I then managed a spectacular blank. Never in my life have I seen this mark looking so perfect and its generally the best fish holding area in the area. After dark, just the right amount of swell for it to be safe, I fished reasonably well. Savage confidence knock.

I'd love to get out today to make it all better but I'm having to leave it til dawn tomorrow now.

In need of a pick-me-up. Just need some retail therapy and a chance do get out and have a decent session for a change. A few easy fish would be nice.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Without having tasted something bitter the sweet stuff doesn't taste as sweet. Unlucky mate, doesn't do any harm to blank in "perfect" conditions though as it keeps us all on our toes! I'm sure you'll be back on form on your next trip out!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate. I've always said that you have to have bad days to be able to appreciate the good ones. It's easy to say it, but harder to take it yourself though I think. To be fair, a bit of bad luck is well over due.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Keep the faith Ben,at least you can get out, the Bass Ban here is a killer especially after weeks of North winds. The day the Bass ban started the winds turned to the South for a week. The weather Gods have a weird sense of humour:***k:the next session you will land a 10lb shirley
regards
Bob:-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, hope so Bob :p

Sod that Timmy! The water's not that warm yet! I wasn't too worried at the time because I didn't really think there was too much in it. Sadly, there was :-(

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'd have gone in after the box.

I have dropped mine plenty before. Best one was a box the size of the ones in the rapala slingbag, full with a 30 compartments of different size hooks, beads and other various terminal tackle bits. All gone over the side.

I have blanked 3 times in a row off the shore now. I had a boat trip breaming in between to perk up with though. I almost went and dug some bait the other day, but I regained my senses fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Keep at it Ben, these things happen now and again ! You are just experiencing some peaks and troughs and all will come good in the end.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost went and dug some bait the other day, but I regained my senses fairly quickly.
Good! I'd have felt rude having had to ignore your existance from that point on! lol

·
Registered
849 Posts
One thing to add to your jacket pocket or bag...

Butcher an old car speaker, They have strong magnets in them, tie the magnet to a decent bit of string and carry it with you, seperate from your other gear of course!
If you drop anything that has metal on it and it sinks, no problem...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blimmin good idea that actually Chad!!! How much do they weigh?

·
Registered
849 Posts
depends on the speaker size... an old PC speaker will probably do.

I find that speaker magnets are particularly strong though for their size, no good using a fridge magnet is it! Pop down the local scrappy and have a scout round, take a hammer and screwdriver I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you smashed up a few knackered old speakers :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts