The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi not posted before chaps so hi.....can anyone point me in the right direction as to what make of kayak
to choose please???? will be fishing morecambe bay area and also deep water as well around the scottish coast!!
I'm 6 foot ugly as sin and have around £800 to spend.... been looking at the tarpon range amongst others, but the more i look the more indecisive and confused iv'e ended up....help please.....thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
****, I've had a Tarpon 140 for about 3 years - good well made kayak that tracks well and is very stable but a bit heavy and not the fastest around - at times feels a bit stuck to the water. I still use mine for trips with the family etc but last year bought a Hobie Revolution for fishing from and cannot fault it apart from it being expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yak

Thanks Ben, had a look at the tarpon 120 angler yeserday, but have read a few
reviews saying the 140 is the best in the tarpon range since then, think i'll slow down
a bit and so i don't buy the wrong thing....thanks again

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Plenty of options available - check out the Kayak sticky for a few sites with reviews ...

I myself have a Mailbu Kayaks X-13 which is fairly old but stable - I think the majority of the big ones are nice and stable and pretty hard to go wrong nowadays with so many tried and tested angling specific kayaks on the market

also take a peek at the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or 15

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have recently got myself a Feelfree Moken 12 Angler. Very pleased with the yak. Its extremely stable and tracks very well also pretty easy to manouvre. It has adjustable footrests, 4 flush mount rod holders (with leashes) a handy compartment in the footwell that closes with a clasp (perfect place to keep lures / boga grips etc.) For the money i dont think there are many out there with the quality and features of the moken. It also has a wheel built into the keel which makes moving the yak very easy. I can load it onto my defender 90 by myself no problem. Im also about 6`2" and 14 stone and it carries my weight and my long legs fit with ease.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well numty plugger the good news is kayaks dont give a damm how ugly we are,mines still proud to take me afloat. lol.I'm on my second kayak and wish i did home work the first time around.Best is to test drive in all conditions and take it from there.The wind in a huge factor when paddling and fishing far out and I'm happy with my prowler 13 but there is a high standard of fishing kayaks out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine field

Thanks very much lads all great advice much appreciated, seems most kayaks have there plus sides
and faults so need to go and test drive a few and see what suits my own build.....thanks all....****

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi numpty I think your making the right decison testing a few first I did this and never regreted buying the prowler 13 its very stable as with most kayaks of its size ,good tracking better speed than the moken 12 and better set up for rigging ,but like you say each have there up side ,just remember that evn tough you may have the price of the yak the proper safety equipment costs a few pound so do all your figures and see if new is the way to go .....;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all the advice lads, going on the holz soon,decided to leave it now till july, then i'll throw meself at it....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts