The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got myself sorted with a very light (LRF?) 3-10g rod, I guess it''s a trout rod, 8lb PP, a load of little SPs and a little Shimano. I've been out 5 times in the last two weeks and haven't had a bite, zero, nowt. I'm intrigued with all the talk of 'on the drop' takes and multiple fish sessions. I've read about "little plucks" on the line when they're nibbling. i haven't felt a thing! I feel like like I'm out on a limb, all on my ownsome in the south of the island with noone to talk about this ultralighting with. I'm fishing off the rocks, jetties and harbours to no avail. If I take the boat out I know there'll be pollack aplenty, it's starting to be a bit frustrating.

I'll just go away and boo, that'll help...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The thing is....
You are sitting on a whole bunch of fish.

It's most likely just going to be a case of identifying your first few bites.
You have the gear, that isn't an issue.

I would suggest you try 2 methods.

1: Carolina with a 24" leader from weight to a size 8 hook. fish a small nose hooked plastic and fish the rig with a constant retrieve at various depths.

2: Fish the classic 'on the drop' but with a variance. Paul B and Tom P like it anyway. Cast, lure hits water, tighten up, hold rod at 90 degree's to the plane of the line and let the lure swing down, under and back towards you. Dont follow the lure with the rod. i'd suggest you try a 1.5 or at a max 3" swim paddle tail with a thin profile.

Also, question the tides.
We recently learned one mark that is known to be a HW mark is in fact, just the opposite. Question everything and if something isn't working after a reasonable length of time, change.

We are generally getting bites/takes within minutes of arriving at a new mark now athough we still drop the occasional clanger.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Don't worry, you are not alone!!! I have had a couple of trips out without any success.

Something I have tried in the past when being beaten is bait!!!! If you KNOW you can catch a certain species at a venue on bait, then you can work out whether the fish are there or not. If you can't catch on bait either, then try a different time of the tide, time of day etc until you catch fish. Once you have confidence in the venue, then you know it is down to how you are fishing. The next step is getting confident in the method which you will when you start catching. After that things become a bit easier........ It is all about building confidence in the venue and the method. One step at a time.

I have been through this exact same process a number of times and it works for me.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've suggested similar here Mike for the neophyte LRF jigger.

I would suggest a more subtle way than just a bait rod but of course, that does work.
What about a plain jighead adorned with squid, or a real worm, a sandeel etc.. Fish it the way we should but give that extra something into the confidence pile.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Agreed, in my case I wasn't sure what was not working, if that makes sense! So use a method you have complete confidence in, maybe something like floatfished sandeel. It is just like building a jigsaw, fill in the gaps and you will get there in the end.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Firstly, well done for owning up Tim!! I haven't been out with the right gear yet, but as soon as I do I'm fuly expecting a few blank sessions to start with.

Spose it's a bit like bass fishing. Most people will blank a few times to start with, yet as soon as they catch a fish the floodgates open and you're sorted! I hope it's like that anyway! :p

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It is and you must remember, none of us just magically did this.

We started earlier and were seeing results (low by comparision) before the group got to strength like now. I hope some of the other guys pitch in here to encourage you all to persist.
We were just talking about the way some guys have moved onward and upwards both in gear, bite detection and ulimately, fish numbers. You'll never get it right every time but, as a group, if some are catching you know you may be doing something wrong and we can change pattern accordingly. This has been KEY in the way LRF is developing here in Jersey. It has been a totally joint effort.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I will pitch in.

I started going out on these LRF sessions in January. Keith, Kev, Paul B, Tom P, Liam and Squid had been doing it a little while by then, but were still learning, and I am sure if you asked them, the methods and lures used by them now differ from then, even only two months down the line.

When I started, it was frustrating to say the least. I didnt have the right rod to start, but Liam H loaned me his Infeet, which though not strictly LRF, was more sensitive. Even then, I didnt detect bites, I fished too big, I fished too fast. This happened a few times, and was frustrating as I didnt even think I was getting any bites, let alone land any fish.

I got my lighter rod through (Rhino Prodder according to Keith, at 3-12g), bought a reel to balance, and loaded 8lb braid on. I also bought a selection of appropiate jigheads from 2g through to 10g, along with 1.5 inch baits, paddletails, worms etc. Now I had the gear, to catch some fish became the objective. I was going along to these sessions in the evenings, at various harbours around the island, and was seeing more and more fish caught by the "experienced" LRFers, so through painstaking guidance from K&K, Squid and Paul, I finally detected the first bites. Could only feel these by casting out with light light gear, holding rod up high and staying in contact. Even then it was only a tap, far too quick for me too hit. Now I was tuned in, I knew what to expect and I caught one, then another, then another and so on.

Now if I was doing all of this on my own, I'd have probably quit by now and waited for the Bass to come in. But as there is a group of us sharing our findings, we are able to try different techniques, to find the 'pattern' for the night. The significance of this pattern is immense, and is the difference to between catching a few and blanking in cold water. Now when we go out, we have a much better understanding of the sizes of lure, the weights to use, the rigs to use and the technique in which to fish them. We have a better idea of where to start from. Take lure sizes for instance, when I started, most of us considered 3inch baits as really small. Now if someone puts a monster like that on, they get mocked relentlessly (in a good way, that one of the good things about these trips, the friendly banter, like Keith falling over a lot, Tom Phillips hogging spots, Jamo breaking rods for a hobby etc).

So I think though it must be hard for you to start out with, by using some of the stuff we are discovering as we go (we learn something new every night), you will be able to break your duck very soon, and from there you'll progress really quick. Its true that the marks may be completely different, but getting the basics in place first means you can make location specific tweaks as you go.

So without going into massive specifics, to get a bite and get you started, I'd recommend a Carolina Rig as Keith suggested. I use a size 8 hook, to 8lb Fluoro (yes I know Keith, tow rope), with either one or two swan shot about 12-18 inches away from the hook. Lure wise, you cannot go small enough. Tiny X-Layers produce for me sometimes, but I now find myself cutting them in half to create baits around the 1-2 inch range. Some nights, paddletails work, some nights straight tails work, some nights curlytails work. It is a case of revolving through these until you find what they want on the night. Stay in contact on the drop, you cannot retrieve slow enough, try lots of pauses, if no joy, I have had good success with a slow straight retrieve. Sometimes Pollack are up in the water, so use a lighter head for a slower fall.

All these are just suggestions, but in my very limited experience thus far, its what I have found has worked.

Of course, in six months time, we will have developed a whole new range of techniques specific for other species. As I write, Bream, Bass, Snipe, Mackerel, Scad, Triggers, Shad and others bits and pieces are swimming their way to these shores, and these will no doubt need slightly different approaches. I am confident of doing well though, as I believe once you have got the basics sorted - <balanced light outfit + capability to react and adapt on the night to what the fishies want + ability to detect and react to bites> - its a much smaller step to more success.

Anyway, I have babbled plenty, so stick with it, it will definately come good for you, and I can guarantee once you have broken the duck, it'll get much easier. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Couple of tips I have experienced fishing for small Pollack;

Areas that you may overlook - the steps on quaysides that produce a tiny bit of current fishing hard against the wall - had my best of 2lb 8oz on a whip pole fair few years ago on the embankment @ Dartmouth
No bites on SP? remove the plastic and tip the jighead with a tiny piece of ragworm - see if it produces bites
Look for areas where food may get swirled into - passing boats or small ferry dockings - just a tiny bit of artificial current
Look for lights that project into the water - permanent ones that the fish will congregate under
Technique I found useful is drop the jig all the way to the bottom and then tap the bottom a few times ... wait ... repeat ... usually induces the take

I would find somewhere comfortable to fish - a harbour would be my first port of call out of the wind with minimal swell so you can detect the bites without the weather throwing distractions at you

Tightlines!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to you all!
looks like I'm way too big on the hooks, I've 'dropped' down a size 1: a fair way to drop still then! I'll keep plugging (haha!) away and try the techniques mentioned.

Sorry Mike K, I'm not going to try the smelly stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Thanks to you all!
looks like I'm way too big on the hooks, I've 'dropped' down a size 1: a fair way to drop still then! I'll keep plugging (haha!) away and try the techniques mentioned.

Sorry Mike K, I'm not going to try the smelly stuff!!!
Good for you!!!
I only did it because I was new to the venue and the technique. Not something I do regularly at all. It helped because one of the places I was fishing I couldn't catch on bait, but at another I could. So I concentrated on the venue where I had caught on bait and eventually through trial and error caught on lures. I wasn't doing much wrong but obviously enough for the fish not to react to my artifical bait.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Brilliant suggestons all!
I'll try a bit sandeel next time out (where's my latex gloves? horrid stinky stuff!), even if it only helps on the confidence front .

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Keep with it Tim. Confidence in what you are doing is everything. I started a few weeks back with Keith, Kevin and a few other local madmen. I turned up with my red luck super distance, 30lb PP and 5"Xlayers. This setup it soon became obvious was overkill for this type of fishing.

Next time out, I had the same setip except for having put 10lb PP on my spare spool. The magical moment came when Keith passed me his Cormaran ULX with 6LB braid with a 1 gram carolina rig attached. Suddenly I could feel every little movement in the water and the gentlest of plucks. I now realise that most of the time I was doing everything to quickly (even though it felt slow to me).

I've since bought a ULX and am well pleased with it, even a 1lb pollock gives a good account of itself. Tonight we're all out again for a four harbour bumble and I can't wait for it to start having had a few more ideas running through my simple little head.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that Gary, it's just sucha different game innit?

All the best for the bumble, it's blowing a hooly here. I'm starting to think about asking the missus if she wants to go to Jersey on our hols this summer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts